Menu

The purpose of education

1914:

Gentlemen, you are now about to embark on a course of studies which will occupy you for two years. Together, they form a noble adventure. But I would like to remind you of an important point. Nothing that you will learn in the course of your studies will be of the slightest possible use to you in after life, save only this, that if you work hard and intelligently you should be able to detect when a man is talking rot, and that, in my view, is the main, if not the sole, purpose of education.

- John Alexander Smith, professor of moral philosophy, Oxford

2014:

What is the real purpose of education if not to prepare your students for jobs? Seriously. That’s what we keep asking.

- Mike Meroney, Jobs for Texas Coalition

What would be your response to either man?

Where you stand probably depends on where you sit….

The former is a luxury of those who can afford it. Sadly, the latter is a necessity for those who cannot. 

That said, I do think that all schools can incorporate thinking about the meaning of a life well lived in their curriculum. So I don't agree that a non-jobs-focused education is of no use in life. What would really be nice is if the first sort of education helped students to think more generously about the conditions that require so many to have to focus on the second sort of education.

That man needs both. They need to be educated to think for themselves so they have the interior mental freedom to discern propaganda and "rot" from truth and to be able to stand firm for their beliefs with reason. But, equally, man needs employment.

But, ideally, they should flow in that direction. Educating the mind first and foremost and skills for employment 2nd. Unfortunately, that is not how modern education works.

What would be your response to either man?

There are those that believe this:

The Westminster Shorter Catechism 1647

Q. 1. What is the chief end of man?

A. Man's chief end is to glorify God, [a] and to enjoy him for ever.

Ecclesiastes 1

New International Version (NIV)

Everything Is Meaningless

The words of the Teacher,[a] son of David, king in Jerusalem:

“Meaningless! Meaningless!â€

says the Teacher.

“Utterly meaningless!

Everything is meaningless.â€

What do people gain from all their labors

at which they toil under the sun? 

Wisdom Is Meaningless

12 I, the Teacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem. 13 I applied my mind to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under the heavens. What a heavy burden God has laid on mankind! 14 I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

16 I said to myself, “Look, I have increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.†17 Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.

18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;

the more knowledge, the more grief.

Ecclesiastes 5

18 This is what I have observed to be good: that it is appropriate for a person to eat, to drink and to find satisfaction in their toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given them—for this is their lot. 

Ecclesiastes 12

Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

13 Now all has been heard;

here is the conclusion of the matter:

Fear God and keep his commandments,

for this is the duty of all mankind.

Some notes from Train Up a Child, about Amish Education.

Schooling is book learning; Education is the inculcation of values.

Too much schooling can lead to indolence and an inclination for types of work which require less manual labor, without regard for spiritual and sometimes physical welfare.

To train the mind and the heart is to bring up a child so he begins to understand life and people--and then in the long run he can train for a job--or create his own job. Its sort of like the difference between giving the poor a fish--or teaching them how to fish! 

A school can only go so far in providing any of this. Modern education is training to fit someone into an established job--but real education should help one learn to think well and creatively. That's why I believe in homeschooling!