Menu

Has anyone used SWB The History of the Ancient World as a 9th grade text...

Have you seen this?

http://peacehillpress.com/history-geography/study-and-teaching-guide-for-the-history-of-the-ancient-world/

There is also a map download.

My dd used HOTW  in 9th or 10th grade before the teaching guide was published. She loved it. She read and wrote papers. We do art and music separately. 

Thank you for your quick response. This is helpful. What did you use for art and music history?

I used it for Sr. year with my oldest.  She had to write a summary of each chapter and we discussed it in context some with her other studies.  She looooved it. That year she also did the Greenleaf Guide to Ancient Literature as designed and she finished the formal logic series by Cothran (Material Logic and Rhetoric which uses Aristole's book Rhetoric. Note that the series begins with Traditional Logic and Traditional Logic 2 and must be completed in order.) We used Euclid's Elements for geometry with those.  Geometry proofs are an excellent parallel mathematically of what Aristotelian logic is verbally.  Both my mathy kid and my not at all mathy kid found doing the geometry and logic together useful.

Has anyone used SWB "The History of the Ancient World" as a 9th grade text? How did you use it? What output did you require? How did you test? Also what did you use to cover the art and music gap in the text? Sorry if this has already been asked.

We'll be using HOAW world next year with my high school kids. They'll be 9th, 11th, and 12th graders. My current thoughts are to use the study guide, assign a history essay every week or so, and to align the chapters with TOG's history discussions. :001_unsure:

We're using TOG for literature and fine art.. I also want to complete some fun projects we've skipped over the years, so we'll be doing some larger projects from SOTW vol. 1 activity guide. We're mummifying that chicken. :blink: There's also instructions on making Ming Vase out of clay, death masks, Greek vases, mosaics, etc. My goal is to do as many of the larger art projects as I can with the older children.

:bigear: I'm all ears though for other and better ideas!