Menu

Dolciani Pre-Algebra - how much did you spend and where?

I'm searching high & low for a used copy of Dolciani Pre-Algebra An Accelerated Course.

From the hive, it seems I'm best served with a 1985 edition. And also from the hive, it seems I'd be happy with a Teacher's Edition, for ease in checking.

1. How much should I expect to spend?

2. Where did you find yours?

I paid $12 for mine on Amazon, described as being in "very good" condition, about a year ago. Honestly, it doesn't really meet Amazon's definition of "very good" (actually a "good" at best), but I'm OK with it. BTW, mine is ISBN 039543050X, which is listed on Amazon as a 1987 edition, but the cover page inside the book officially indicates copyright "1988, 1985".  I'm pretty certain this is the same book I used in school.  :coolgleamA:

Wapiti is correct, the final answers to the odds are in the back of the student text.  I assign evens for that reason. For saving time, I also tracked down the companion paperback "Solution Key" (technically not a "Teacher's Edition") which has fully worked out solutions, step by step, for every problem. If you have more time for grading and/or only assign odds, you likely wouldn't need it. 

Thanks! 

I found a 1985 TE for $30 which is not terribly pricey... Wondering if it's worth it, to have not only the answers (but does the TE have solutions too)? I don't know if I'll need them!

Any thoughts on where to track down the Solution Key?

I've never seen inside one of the TE's, so I'm not sure what they include. Hopefully someone else will chime in for you.

The ISBN for the 1985/1988 Dolciani Pre-Algebra Solution Key I have is 0395359899.  Unfortunately, a quick check (of Amazon and a couple of other websites where I've previously purchased used books) doesn't show any currently listed for sale, but if you're not in a hurry you might be able to find one later, perhaps later in the spring when more folks are selling off the things they're finished with. HTH.

I bought the student text on Amazon for $6 shipped (Prime), but I think it runs a little more than that now. I bought it at least a year ago. 1985 version of Prealgebra: An Accelerated Course.

I did not buy a TM or solution manual of any kind. I haven't found it necessary. When using Dolciani, I just assign the odd problems. The answers are in the back of the book. There are so many problems that I can't imagine ever needing the evens for my son (and I remember in school never being assigned both odds and evens in a textbook like this). Dolciani is pretty straightforward, so I haven't found full solutions to be necessary, though I am mathy myself.

My friend found the Algebra book at a friends of the library book sale recently, probably for $1. My DH saw the book and said, "Hey, that's the book I used in school!" :lol:

My friend found the Algebra book at a friends of the library book sale recently, probably for $1. My DH saw the book and said, "Hey, that's the book I used in school!" :lol:

That's awesome!  Which one is it?  As far as I can figure, there are two of that timeframe (late 80s), plain "Algebra 1" and Algebra Structure and Method Book 1.  The former is still in print, I believe, as it can be ordered new with a big pricetag, while the latter has had revisions and a much more recent edition is still in print.  I don't know if there's a more recent edition of the first one, at least not beyond maybe 92, though I haven't looked.  Anyway, I have both of those late 80s books and I prefer the first one.  Relatively rigorous, it seems to me.

OK I bought a $9 1987 at Amazon. I think I'll look at it first, and then decide if I need the TE. And if I think I do, then I can resell back my $9 Dolciani and buy the $30 TE.

Thanks for all your help!

P.S. There are a few more in the $9 range over at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Algebra-An-Accelerated-Course-Dolciani/dp/039543050X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393517186&sr=8-1&keywords=dolciani+prealgebra+accelerated+course

Thanks! 

I found a 1985 TE for $30 which is not terribly pricey... Wondering if it's worth it, to have not only the answers (but does the TE have solutions too)? I don't know if I'll need them!

Any thoughts on where to track down the Solution Key?

I'll buy the TE if you don't want it!!!

That's awesome!  Which one is it?  As far as I can figure, there are two of that timeframe (late 80s), plain "Algebra 1" and Algebra Structure and Method Book 1.  The former is still in print, I believe, as it can be ordered new with a big pricetag, while the latter has had revisions and a much more recent edition is still in print.  I don't know if there's a more recent edition of the first one, at least not beyond maybe 92, though I haven't looked.  Anyway, I have both of those late 80s books and I prefer the first one.  Relatively rigorous, it seems to me.

It's a 1984 copy of Algebra Structure and Method 1, New Edition.

I ended up with both a $9 Student Version and $30 Teacher Edition. I found the Teacher Edition on Alibris.com (I looked up "Prealgebra Accelerated Course Teacher Edition"). The Student one on Amazon.com. I'll be selling one for sure, so I'll wait until I receive them and see how it goes! I'll PM you for sure.