Menu

Starting Singapore in 2nd?

plumshadow

My DS6 has done Abeka 1 and is in the middle of Abeka 2 but I'm looking for something that goes "deeper" in math and am planning to switch over to Singapore. Where should I start? Lets say she test in 2A or 2B or even 3A should I still start back at the beginning since even though the earlier subject may be mastered she might not have done it the "Singapore" way but is that fact enough to warrant not moving forward? Does that make sense? 

I would test for placement. My son went from A Beka 2 to Singapore 3 (Primary Mathematics, US Edition) with no problems. He didn't have as high of a score on the placement test as would be recommended for moving into level 3, but the topics he missed were ones that I knew he would be able to pick up fast (and he did). The scope and sequence (and emphasis) is a little different. For instance, my son had converted units (like meters to centimeters), but the Singapore method is different and worth learning. It's much like the way you'd add and subtract mixed numbers (at least in my mind).

I'm thinking that you might need to be sure she can tell time to the minute--the time unit in level 3 is pretty short, but it covers elapsed time. If you can get your hands on the actual books, you might get a better feel for how important it is for your child to get certain questions correct vs. others. If there is a topic she is weak on, but she's solid on the rest, you could potentially get some work from another resource (like the blue books from Math Mammoth), rather than going back a whole level. I'm sure this is not the recommended way to go about it, but my son tested as being borderline for 2B vs. 3A, and 2B would have been way to easy for us.