Menu

After OUP's Medieval & Early Modern World?

My 7th grader will be finishing up The Medieval and Early Modern World set by Oxford University Press this year.  I'm looking ahead to 8th grade for her, and wondering what others use for Modern History after this series. DD12 was hoping they had another series for modern times (she's really enjoyed both this and The Ancient World), but I haven't seen a modern series by them.

What have you used for 8th grade modern history? We never did SOTW 4, so that's a possibility, but she seems to think it will be too easy, and I'm curious about what else is out there.

Did you use the other HO books as well? I seem to remember you were doing both. There's a pretty big gap between the last OUP book and HO vol. 3. If I went that way, I'm wondering if I should bridge the gap by using part of HO vol 2 or Story of Mankind or something...

ETA: oh, I totally misread your post Luckymama. :tongue_smilie: so...never mind.

I am in the exact same boat (and really bummed about it). We have loved the OUP books. Pages from History has been recommended to me as a follow-up, and they do look good, although not the same style. I have the K12 books but we vastly prefer the details of the OUP books. I suppose supplementing the 3rd volume of K12 with the PfH series might make a good compromise. But I also liked and used the Teaching Guides, so I will miss those. Where is my tiny violin? :lol:

I have spent all this year hoping OUP would put out a new series.

http://global.oup.com/academic/content/series/p/pages-from-history-ph/?cc=us&lang=en

I am in the exact same boat (and really bummed about it). We have loved the OUP books. Pages from History has been recommended to me as a follow-up, and they do look good, although not the same style. I have the K12 books but we vastly prefer the details of the OUP books. I suppose supplementing the 3rd volume of K12 with the PfH series might make a good compromise. But I also liked and used the Teaching Guides, so I will miss those. Where is my tiny violin? :lol:

http://global.oup.com/academic/content/series/p/pages-from-history-ph/?cc=us&lang=en

Ouch! Those are pricey. I was just looking at Encounters in the New World on amazon. Apparently it's part of this series. It's recommended in WTM, and it has a couple of excellent reviews. It might be a good thing to be moving towards primary source documents... Sigh...

Ouch! Those are pricey. I was just looking at Encounters in the New World on amazon. Apparently it's part of this series. It's recommended in WTM, and it has a couple of excellent reviews. It might be a good thing to be moving towards primary source documents... Sigh...

Oh, you can get them cheaper on Amazon. Unlike the other two series though, I don't so much see wanting to own these for posterity, so I would be more likely to use the library for them...if I use them at all. They kind of feel a little like overkill for us, for the middle grades anyway. There are so many volumes, and are just so very specific, providing too much detail where the WIAT and M&EMW had just the right amount for us.

Oh, you can get them cheaper on Amazon. Unlike the other series though, I don't so much see wanting to own them for posterity, so I would be more likely to use the library for them...if I use them at all. They kind of feel a little like overkill for us, for the middle grades anyway. The volumes are just so specific, providing too much detail where the WIAT and M&EMW had just the right amount for us.

We're been using the US-specific volumes of Pages from History this year to accompany K12's American Odyssey. I think they're a strong continuation from OUP's Ancient World and Medieval & Early Modern World. Dd prefers to read primary source documents, and the Pages from History provide good context for the documents selected.

My library system carries all the Pages from History volumes :D

We're been using the US-specific volumes of Pages from History this year to accompany K12's American Odyssey. I think they're a strong continuation from OUP's Ancient World and Medieval & Early Modern World. Dd prefers to read primary source documents, and the Pages from History provide good context for the documents selected.

My library system carries all the Pages from History volumes :D

My library has most, which thrilled me. It didn't occur to me to split them (21 books, if I counted right?!) into world (for next year, modern world history) and American specific (for the following two years, for our next American history rotation). Good thoughts!

Oh, you can get them cheaper on Amazon. Unlike the other two series though, I don't so much see wanting to own these for posterity, so I would be more likely to use the library for them...if I use them at all. They kind of feel a little like overkill for us, for the middle grades anyway. There are so many volumes, and are just so very specific, providing too much detail where the WIAT and M&EMW had just the right amount for us.

Yeah, I was looking at used on amazon. It's pretty resonable that way. I'll need to check if my library has them. I think we'd definitely have to pick and choose volumes. WIAT took us 2 years to get through, so more would not be better, unless dd discovers a burning interest in modern japan. ;)

Yeah, I was looking at used on amazon. It's pretty resonable that way. I'll need to check if my library has them. I think we'd definitely have to pick and choose volumes. WIAT took us 2 years to get through, so more would not be better, unless dd discovers a burning interest in modern japan. ;)

:lol: Exactly. Some of those volumes are super specific. No one is getting their doctorate here... 

Well, I clicked "buy" in the wee hours of the night on Vol. 2&3 of HO and Encounters in the New World: A History in Documents and this morning I saw SOTW 3 & 4 sitting on table and I'm not sure why I needed new books...  :001_rolleyes: 

Well, I clicked "buy" in the wee hours of the night on Vol. 2&3 of HO and Encounters in the New World: A History in Documents and this morning I saw SOTW 3 & 4 sitting on table and I'm not sure why I needed new books... :001_rolleyes:

LOL Don't feel bad! You don't even want to hear how many history spines I own! I still have all 4 HO volumes on a shelf in case they will work best for youngest DS when he hits the middle grades (along with a print-out of Luckymama's schedules in case they disappear by then). Also, I would own all the SOTW volumes even of we weren't homeschooling, so they don't so much count toward the total. :tongue_smilie: