Menu

How do you teach K Math w/o curriculum?

Lb20inblue

I have been wondering how to teach K math without a curriculum. Currently, we are using the mathematical reasoning books from the critical thinking co. and while my kids are thriving, I wonder if there is another way to do this without a curriculum. Do you have a scope that you follow? Do you create an outline of concepts you would like to cover?  What resources do you use?  How do you daily/weekly plans look like? Thanks!

all you really need is a list of topics, some manipulates, and a good imagination. pick a topic and work on it for a little while then start a new one.

just a warning though, I am not someone who is curriculum dependent but if you are not mathy yourself you may find a curriculum would introduce or explain a concept in a way you wouldn't think of. I was shocked when I, a pretty mathy person, realized the coloring busywork I had skipped in my curric was actually their foundation for fractions later in the spiral. now, it still wasn't suited for my kiddo, but there were a number of times I have come across things which were handled very well in a way, or with wording, I wouldn't have used on my own but worked great.

When DD was in Kindergarten, we were trying out cyber school for the three oldest kids (her included).  It didn't go well, to say the least, and I was left to figure out a curriculum for her on the fly. I didn't want to spend any money on it at the time, but ended up buying a Phonics Pathways book used.  She also couldn't do book at the time (they freaked her out, lol).  This is what I did:

I knew we'd be using Math-U-See in the future, so I followed their scope and sequence for Primer, which you can see here: http://store.mathusee.com/catalog/general-math/primer/ 

We used lots and lots of manipulatives.  We used numbers from the number puzzles we have, toys to make patterns, play dough to make the numbers, etc. etc.  We also printed the VERY OCCASIONAL worksheet (only if it looked fun and not threatening b/c DD was claiming she "hated school" and I needed to end that fast) from www.education.com.

HTH!