Menu

Tell me about your horrible vacation lodgings--mine's a doozy

Harriet Vane

Not Honeymoon, but on a business trip my room at the Days Inn had been a location of a very recent murder.  It didn't take years of Law and Order episodes to recognize that someone had been stabbed to death, left to bleed out, and then the body dragged out the door.  I don't think they even tried to clean it.   I was allowed to make my own travel arrangements after that.  

On Honeymoons though, we stayed home for ours and planned on starting to plan the trip to Hawaii immediately after the wedding (I love to plan vacations).  The 2nd - 5th day of our honeymoon was spent wet vacuuming the floor because the water heater busted.

Are you in Canaan valley?  There are a bunch of condos there that were really nice back in the early 90s.  I went back a couple of years ago and the place looked exactly the same- just very worn and not maintained.  My parents live in WV now.  My Mom's family is from Elkins.

We were at Timberline. Dh and the kids stayed at Timberline most of our vacation, but did get over to Canaan Valley today for a couple hours.

The condos at Timberline are owned by a variety of individuals who contract with a property management company to rent out the units when the owners are not there. Some of them are nice and others are . . . not. The management were really apologetic and very reasonable about refunding our money, so I would actually consider going there again, but staying in a different condo owned by someone else.

The lodge itself is worn and dated, but dh and the kids felt that slope conditions were good. The ski facilities were much like the places we have skiied in Wisconsin or Michigan. The lodge at Canaan Valley was nicer, but the slopes were comparable to Timberline.

For my MIL's 60th birthday we were all invited to stay at a hotel in the country.  My PIL had stayed there before and gone on and on about the fantastic modern rooms with flat screen tvs, lights that came on when you walked in the room, jacuzzi tubs etc.  So we get there and everyone else in the family had been assigned these cool modern rooms except for us.  We got a room in the basement.  The decor was hunting themed so there were prints of foxes with dead birds hanging out of their mouths and also actual dead animal heads mounted all over the walls and even in the bathroom.  The bathroom was a mauvey pink color and really small.  There was a big open fireplace in the lobby and all the smoke seemed to accumulate in our room.  Since we were in the basement we only had these little tiny windows way up high so it was very dark and the only other lighting were a pair of candle wall sconces.  To top it off I got food poisoning and ended up spending most of the time confined in the room.

Worst ever was when we were staying in a (something like) $4 hotel in Nicaragua and the next day my friend insisted on moving across the street to a (something like) $3, $2 hotel. It turned out to be a brothel. 

Oh the things I heard that night.  :w00t:  Men kept coming in the room all night... no locks of course. I wanted to kill my cheap friend the next day.  :lol: Good times!!