Menu

Kids leaving the faith after they leave home (CC)

I know there has been talk on here before about the number of kids who leave the faith after they leave home. At one point, I also listened to the audio given by Voddie Baucham that several here recommended. I know a number of statistics were cited but I've been looking for a place online that actually states these statistics and I can't find one. Does anyone have a source that states these statistics? Also, does anyone know of an article or something similar to the points that Voddie Baucham makes in his "Centrality of the Home" audio but that may be a little less "forceful"? I loved his audio and would like to share the info with some others but I know they are coming from a place that will be a little less receptive to the message than I was. I really want them to be open to his message but not scared off by his aggressive style (I realize that many won't think his message is too aggressive but I'm pretty sure the audience I want to share it with will KWIM).

Thanks!

I believe Baucham (and Stonestreet too for that matter) use many of the statistics from George Barna. Barna also has several books (and possibly some audio) about children losing faith and multigenerational faithfulness.

Barna books: http://books.google.com/books?as_auth=George+Barna

Barna website: http://www.barna.org/

HTH!

Lisa

ETA: You win Kristine! You're quick!

I know there has been talk on here before about the number of kids who leave the faith after they leave home. At one point, I also listened to the audio given by Voddie Baucham that several here recommended. I know a number of statistics were cited but I've been looking for a place online that actually states these statistics and I can't find one. Does anyone have a source that states these statistics? Also, does anyone know of an article or something similar to the points that Voddie Baucham makes in his "Centrality of the Home" audio but that may be a little less "forceful"? I loved his audio and would like to share the info with some others but I know they are coming from a place that will be a little less receptive to the message than I was. I really want them to be open to his message but not scared off by his aggressive style (I realize that many won't think his message is too aggressive but I'm pretty sure the audience I want to share it with will KWIM).

Thanks!

There is a really good book called "Rethink Youth Ministry" by Steve Wright and Chris Graves, that I read recently and really appreciate. There are many, many statistics included regarding the number of young people who leave the faith, as well as other related topics. They do not take things as far as Voddie Baucham, (who I do find slightly off-putting, to be honest, even though I agree with some of what he says), but rather suggest ways to make youth ministry more family oriented, and emphasize that an important role of youth leaders is assisting parents and giving them resources so that they can do their job of discipling their own children. I think it's really a balanced, reasonable approach. My dh recently began co-leading our youth group, and this is the approach we're seeking to follow.

Erica

link to the other excellent ones that have been posted? I just got an update from the ACCS (Association of Classical & Christian Schools)---their Forum e-newsletter. In it they posted a link to an article from the Nehemiah Institute about Christian worldview in youths attending Christian schools and even homeschoolers.

Here's a link to the article.

I have just begun reading this book and the author comments on this. Interestingly, his comment is that we now see 80% of churched kids leave the faith as adults, BUT, among homeschoolers, 95% of the kids stick with their parents' faith. This is is first time I'd seen that subset broken out. I can't remember who they cite for their figures (and I will check into it), but Barna is likely it.

There is a really good book called "Rethink Youth Ministry" by Steve Wright and Chris Graves, that I read recently and really appreciate. There are many, many statistics included regarding the number of young people who leave the faith, as well as other related topics. They do not take things as far as Voddie Baucham, (who I do find slightly off-putting, to be honest, even though I agree with some of what he says), but rather suggest ways to make youth ministry more family oriented, and emphasize that an important role of youth leaders is assisting parents and giving them resources so that they can do their job of discipling their own children. I think it's really a balanced, reasonable approach. My dh recently began co-leading our youth group, and this is the approach we're seeking to follow.

Erica

Erica,

Thanks for the book recommendation, it looks great!