Menu

Pondering math curricula for overlapping kids

KSinNS

Thinking about math. I've been loving MUS for my kids, but I'm going to run into a problem. T age 7, is bright and charming but young for her grade and struggles with remembering math facts and needs lots of practice on everything, so MUS is great for her. She's even buying into the manipulatives. D now 6 and in "primary" (K for the rest of the world), is only 15 months younger, and busy and precocious and has a fabulous memory and great number sense, so is flying through math. I'm guessing he will pass her probably middle of next year, maybe the end if we really drag out beta for him. I knew this would happen, and tried to start him on Singapore, which he HATED (too many pictures, "same and different aren't math" visuals annoyed him) but he really just wanted a math book like his sibs. I'd hoped to switch him to BA in grade 3, but I think he'll be well past Miss T at that point, and that would be very bad for her ego. So, I'm thinking about Math Mammoth. However, the usual MUS problem will rear it's ugly head, in that there are several things that alpha has covered that MM has not and vice-versa. Now review has never killed anyone, but I'm trying to figure out the best point to switch after alpha: 1a, 1b, or do a couple of the dark blue books to catch him up and go to 2. Also, any other suggestions for math curricula? He is a very intense, high energy little boy who does not tolerate anything that slows down his progress in life :-}. Practically speaking, I think busy pages or bright colours would drive him (and me) nuts. Any and all advice would be much appreciated. 

Ms. T's ego can learn to handle it. It isn't fair to hold one child back just because an older sibling is behind/on level. If he is that precocious, she is going to notice no matter what curriculum you choose. I say don't switch and let Ms.T know everyone progresses at their own pace in different areas. From experience, she and her ego will survive.

I would not hold him back for worry of his sister. Talk to her about how we all have our strengths and gifts(maybe even point out some of hers). I think Math Mammoth may be good for him since it has the same type teaching as Singapore without the graphics. You should look at the placement MM recommends, but it sounds to me like MM2 would be a good fit. Another option is Miquon. It has been really enjoyed at our house and you could use it as a supplement if you wish to continue MUS.

I actually would worry about your daughter's ego.  That would have been huge for my kiddos and not great for the overtaking one's ego, either, in the other direction.  I would have him take the placement test and switch to Math Mammoth.  It's probably better for a mathy child; it's a solid curriculum, and I'd just start him when he starts the next "grade" or some other appropriate, transitional time.  I'd do the placement test, but I wouldn't worry overly much about it, just say that this is the program you think will be best for him.

I appreciate the comments. With T and D being so close in age, we do talk frequently about differing gifts and such and how sometimes D will be ahead of T in some things. However, it  is hard for her, especially where she struggles with lots of skills, so frequently has to deal with the fact that many of the other kids are better than her at most activities. I think she's a late bloomer, and she'll catch up, but I really don't want to her to feel like she's not smart, and she already feels that way. Thanks for the advice. Dh and I talked it over, and I think we'll switch him. I'm hoping that MM will be a good fit. 

I use Saxon with my oldest because he does not like the busy, visually oriented math texts like Singapore or Everyday Math. We supplement heavily with mom-made worksheets, verbal drills, Kumon books, Wrap-ups, abacus exercises and math and logic puzzles. DS1 enjoys math and it is the only subject that he can and will do 100% on his own, so I encourage him to work to his full potential in this area.

I don't think you should be afraid to move your DS along as need be. If he is good in math, then it isn't ok to hold him back just because his older sister struggles, imo. Then again, I will probably be knocking on this door in a year or two as my middle boy starts school. I have a feeling that he is going to outpace his older siblings in some areas and I know that DD will be ahead of DS1 in reading, grammar, composition, etc once we get around to doing it. That's just life, imo, that some will ahead of others. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Best not to dwell too much, I think.

Besides, your son may be ahead of her now, but who knows what the future holds? He may hit a snag, she may jump ahead, they may end up on the same level and it will all be fine in the end. :)