Menu

IEW What next? SICC or Theme based?

My ds has been using IEW for about 2 years now and is doing really well with it.  We did SWI-A during 4th grade and All Things Fun & Fascinating during 5th to review and build confidence.  Thinking ahead to 6th grade, I'm unsure where to go next?  SICC-A continuation course or another theme based such as US History that would go well with what we are studying in history?  I don't know much about SICC.  Would I be missing anything if we continued to do the themed based books?  I also like that the themed based books are cheaper but I'm willing to pay for the SICC if it's worth it.

Anyone who has used IEW for several years, I would love your input!

You could do SICC-B successfully or one of the theme based books--Narnia or Ancient history would be a good choice. You could choose medieval but it might get challenging in the latter half of the book. Personally it depends on what you want...do you want to put Ina DVD and have Andrew Pudewa teach the material? O are you comfortable enough to teach the material yourself? The theme based books are nice and very well written with lots of help. The instructions are written to the students so you could be their guide and help with brainstorming and outlining.

I've taught almost all the levels and have to say SICC-C is not really worth the money. it is outdated (teaches endnotes rather than in-text citations, etc.), is a bit muddled, and overall unnecessary. SICC-B, on the other hand, is generally excellent. I currently teach a very modified version of SICC-C to high schoolers that would not really be appropriate for middle schoolers. However, if you have specific questions, fell free to ask.

Holly

• 2 weeks later...

We just finished SICC-A (after SWI-A) and would like to move onto a Theme-based for the remainder of the year. I'm thinking Ancients... looks interesting (and we're back to Ancients next year). Anyone know if that's suitable for a 6th grader?

How long does SICC-B last when working 5x a week on Writing?

We just finished SICC-A (after SWI-A) and would like to move onto a Theme-based for the remainder of the year. I'm thinking Ancients... looks interesting (and we're back to Ancients next year). Anyone know if that's suitable for a 6th grader?

How long does SICC-B last when working 5x a week on Writing?

SICC-B has 32 lessons. Some of them take two weeks, and various lessons are optional for extra practice with a certain skill. In general my kids can complete it in one school year doing writing four times per week. Therefore working five days per week, you could probably complete the course in less than one year, or else take a full year if you include all of the optional lessons.