Menu

Need help with clothes, hair, etc.

I really need help with a number of things. Main issue- I have a number of medical problems that give me some bad side effects that affect my looks some from my underlying illnesses but more from my medicines. Anyway, I have them and need to keep taking the medicines.

I am needing to do things to look better but am having such a hard time with it. My hair is thinning, and I can't figure out how to find clothes that fit me.

Last year, I finally found a few evening gowns that fit me well so I am set there for the meantime. I found nice shorts and I bought four pairs of them. What I need are nice skirts and some pants. A few new dresses for regular things would be good too. I really would like to get stuff over the internet but since I have had such a hard time finding a pair of pants that fits in person in stores that I am not sure I will find it on the internet. I vary so widely in sizes depending on the manufacturer. I wear anything from a 14 to an 18. I have an hourglass figure but don't want things tight around my hip or thigh area.

I am so tired lately and yet I know I need to do this. I don't even think I have anything very appropriate for my dh's promotion party next week at the marina. Shorts would be too casual and I don't want to wear anything too formal. I will get a hair appointment early this week before Friday.

I can help a bit with the hair. I, too, have hair loss due to an illness. The one thing that really helped me was finally going to a higher end salon - not Supercuts or the Walmart hair center - and telling the stylist that I wanted something that was classic and fit the shape of my face. After that I left it up to her and it was wonderful. I closed my eyes and let her work. I'd also recommend an older stylist - not someone in their 20s.

The clothes thing I really can't help with. Sorry. I tend to slip into jeans and sweaters or shorts and tanks. Some fancier than others but still basically tanks. The best place I've found to get clothes is Kohls.

Try Boden, Gap, JJill, Ann Taylor, Talbots, even Old Navy and Target. All of these shops have online catalogs and relatively affordable shipping costs. They all offer easy return policies as well, some can be dropped off at your local stores and then they take care of the rest. I would look for key pieces that YOU feel good in. You can never go wrong with a classic white button down shirt. Black slacks in a flattering cut...you will just have to see what looks best. Skirts...I would stick to a pretty fitted style that hits at your knee. Gray and black, maybe a dark navy would be the easiest to mix and match with other things. I also feel like a couple pairs of jeans in a good cut and wash will last forever. I good fitted jacket, a couple of cartigans in nice colors...all these things can be worn a million ways and you can find them in cuts, colors, and styles that suit you. Good luck. I agree that clothes can be overwhelming...also don't hesitate to get something in a couple of colors if you like it. I have about 4 shirts that I have multiples of....just in different colors. :)

For the marina thing, would a skirt be inappropriate? You could probably find a nice, swingy, summery skirt that you could wear with a fancy t-shirt or nice little shell or sweater set. Eddie Bauer had some great ones, and Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft can always be counted on for those types of things.

Some basic things I'd get if I had the money. I'm not much of an hourglass though. More like a pear so I'm not sure how to shop for you.

Shortsleeve little black dress: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/dresses/PRD~335497/Chaps+American+Crepe+Dress.jsp

Classic pants: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/pants/dresspants/PRD~356408/apt+9+Maxwell+WideLeg+Pants.jsp

To go with this shortsleeve sweater in the blue http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/sweaters/crewnecks/PRD~336379/Sag+Harbor+Keyhole+Sweater.jsp

Or maybe a blouse http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/tops/shirtsblouses/sleeveless/PRD~362102/Croft++Barrow+Pleated+Top.jsp

I really need help with a number of things. Main issue- I have a number of medical problems that give me some bad side effects that affect my looks some from my underlying illnesses but more from my medicines. Anyway, I have them and need to keep taking the medicines.

I am needing to do things to look better but am having such a hard time with it. My hair is thinning, and I can't figure out how to find clothes that fit me.

Last year, I finally found a few evening gowns that fit me well so I am set there for the meantime. I found nice shorts and I bought four pairs of them. What I need are nice skirts and some pants. A few new dresses for regular things would be good too. I really would like to get stuff over the internet but since I have had such a hard time finding a pair of pants that fits in person in stores that I am not sure I will find it on the internet. I vary so widely in sizes depending on the manufacturer. I wear anything from a 14 to an 18. I have an hourglass figure but don't want things tight around my hip or thigh area.

I am so tired lately and yet I know I need to do this. I don't even think I have anything very appropriate for my dh's promotion party next week at the marina. Shorts would be too casual and I don't want to wear anything too formal. I will get a hair appointment early this week before Friday.

For clothes, also look at Lands End. They have a lot of knit pants that are great for not binding and going to the doctor's or getting tests. The cordoroy knit pants look great even after a hard day's use. Unfortunately the regular sport knit, good for warmer weather, tends to bag at the knees.

They also have a lot of knit skirts and dresses