Menu

nm

MercyA

I love Patrick Rothfuss. He's one cool dude. He does some fun fundraising for charity on his blog, among other things. Like being an awesome fantasy writer.

I also usually like Dahl's stories, but a few of them are meh to just plain bad. This may be one of the bad ones.

(and psssst...it's Roald, not Ronald. I think you may be the victim of autocorrect. :) )

Yup. They do. I enjoy his books because I don't mind dark. But yeah.. Like the one about a boy who basically concocts poison to kill his grandmother. Somehow Dahl makes one feel sympathetic towards the boy, but uh yeah the heart of the story is that he wants to get rid of her and so he kills her.

Look at the sheer number of people murdered/killed in various ways. I think they are designed to be dark humor. We love them here. But, Patrick Rothfuss has a fairly young son, isn't he around 3? I think he is probably too young to see them as...sort of nightmarish fantasies by children who think about ways in which they *could* control their bleak lives?

The moral usually seems to be, things could be a lot worse. ;)

I follow him on Facebook, so I saw that a couple of days ago. It was funny, but it did make me wonder how much he really remembered about Roald Dahl's books. Absolutely terrible and dark things happen in nearly all of them.

And that is why my dd loves them. She said one day"Roald Dahl is like Tim Burton for kids." For the record she also likes Tim Burton. And Neil Gaiman. But I promise she's a very nice 10yo girl.