Menu

AAR Pre-level or LOE Foundations?

I have a just turned 4 year old. I'm looking for something to start very gently with her in the next few months, or maybe not until summer or so. She knows all/most of the letter names and sounds as done by Letter Factory, lol, but has poor phonetic awareness (can't tell you which of two words start with the sound "m" for instance, can't hear rhyme, etc). Obviously not ready to blend, read, etc. 

So...if you were going to try starting on in the summer or fall with this kid, which would you use? Which is easier for a smart but scattered mom to use? Which do  you just prefer, and why?

I admit to be a bit intimidated by teaching all the sounds of a letter/phonogram at once, which I know LOE does....but I guess it works out easier in the end? Does AAR do that too?

oh, and foundations A you teach one sound at a time. You can cover one lesson a week, and she even has ideas for doing things on each letters theme (for example, the book will say: Have an A day, learn about armadillos, eat apples...." tons of ideas. You could easily take it slow and play every little game again and again.

I've never tried AAR, but we use Foundations and I can't say enough about that program - I'm a complete fangirl lol. 

My daughter loves our LoE lessons, and some weeks she's on fire and wants to do a couple of lessons a week, and other times she needs to move slower. It's really easy to pace your student in whatever way is best for them. And it's a REALLY fun curriculum, we all end up having a blast when we do our lessons. 

I used both AAR pre for my 4yr old DS, then switched to Logic of english foundations A for him this year for his K5 year. I totally could have skipped AAR, LOE totally gives you everything you need. There is no actual sit down and read letters on a page until halfway though the book. The entire first half is phonemic awareness activities.