Menu

Clogged Milk Duct

danybug

I am prone to clogged milk ducts. I had a bad case of mastitis with baby #2 and then have had other clogged milk ducts along the way. I started with this duct on Friday and I woke up Saturday with 102 fever and the whole flu thing from it. I wanted to die ;) And steadily got better yesterday.

The problem is my bre@st is still so sore and I believe clogged. I have tried everything. I have been taking lecithin, using heating pad constantly, nursing from all various positions, my poor dh has even generously attempted to help get it out, massaging, hot showers, Advil. My doctor called in an antibiotic yesterday but I didn't start it because I am trying to avoid it, but I guess I might have to cave in.

Well, I am just wondering if it could be getting better since I do not have the fever and flu symptoms anymore. Or if I am headed for an abcess? Should I start the antibiotic? I just can't believe it has been clogged for this long. I have never had one this bad, it is crazy. Any thoughts?

I might go ahead and start that antibiotic if it was still that sore. Are you able to nurse, or is it really painful? I'm not a big fan of antibiotics. Only 1 of my kids has ever had to take one. But this seems like it might need some further attention. As you mentioned, you don't want it to turn into an abscess.

I am prone to clogged "other things," and it often feels worse for a day or so just before it clears. However, in my case, my clogged "other things" are in tissue where an abscess would be evident pretty quickly. I've had three clogs and not had to take an antibiotic so far (fingers crossed). Do you have someone who could assess things more specifically to see if you are getting better or not? I have a healthcare person in my family that always helps with this. You might have to ask outright if your doctor deals with abscesses and how they progress to know if you will get balanced advice or "take the antibiotic to be safe" advice. Someone with experience might be willing to see you and give you a timeframe of when to worry or not, when to start the antibiotic or not, etc.

I agree about the probiotics--yeast is not fun at all.

Another option or two--you may think I'm crazy, but my clogged stuff coincides with nerve pain the same area (nerve pain usually happens first), and seeing the chiropractor helps. Sounds a bit far-fetched, but it could help you.

In addition, I have a permanently swollen lymph node in my underarm (from allergy shots), and if I get a cold or anything that triggers swollen lymph nodes, my breast on that side will start being sore as well. It also used to make me back up a little while I was nursing, though I never had a significantly plugged duct. I have some natural detox deodorant from Herbalix that helps when this lymph node becomes swollen (available on Amazon or from Herbalix). If I had known about this product while I was nursing and could find out whether it was safe to use while nursing, I would have used it.