Menu

K12 courses (used independently) for middle school?

I can get free K12 courses without enrolling in a virtual academy. This year my son is taking intermediate world history A, and I really like it. I'm planning on having him do B next year, but also looking at some other courses.

I don't really like what we've been doing for science this year. He reads a section in his textbook, fills out the guided study workbook, corrects it, and takes an online quiz at the end of the unit. We don't really discuss it anymore because he is doing it independently while I do other stuff. So if he is doing science independently, I want it to be a fuller program. K12 life science looks good, and I like that he can take the basic level since he is not a strong student.

The other option is to have him continue with the Science Explorer textbooks but add in Science-Bits modules. Hmmm....

I'm looking at literature. The LA I've got covered, and I was planning on doing Lightning Lit 7 next year. If I did K12 Literature, I would probably place him in their 6th grade level. I know lit and LA are combined, but would it be easy to ignore the LA assignments? Can anyone compare K12 Lit and Lightning Lit?

I would love to have all day to discuss with him and do all the teaching myself, but my reality is that my younger kid constantly pulls me away. I want my middle schooler to be able to get going on things independently, but I'm afraid K12 could be too much for him, especially if I am kind of out of the picture and slow to catch up when he heeds me. He is a remediwted dyslexic and still struggles with comprehension, and is really behind in writing. I would have to tailor every lesson to him, deciding which activities he should complete ... Maybe it's better to let the younger one play video games while I work directly with the older one.

Any thoughts?

I don't have direct personal experience with these, but if he's doing well with one course, why not have him take two -- probably History and Science since it sounds like that's getting shorted more?

And out of curiosity, does your curricula list for your younger include what he's doing at school? If so, yes, I'd feel free to cut down a bit to make sure you can meet your older's needs.

My younger kiddo was in PS until last week (I need to update sig). I supplemented because he was working above the material in his class. His work takes about an hour a day, so it's not the academics that take up my time. For various reasons he needs a lot of attention and interaction.

I think it is a good idea to start with two classes. I can add another if those are going well.

Dd13 is doing K12 Life Science this year and I really like it. I'm still not as involved as I want to be, but at least I can log on whenever I get time and review what she's been doing and look over her assessments and quizzes.

I also have been looking over the world history and thought it looked very good. I may consider it for next year.

Beck

You can just do the literature strand by itself.  It's all split out for you.  So they have separate literature, grammar, vocabulary, and composition strands and you can pick which one(s) you want to do.  The composition tends to mesh with the literature, so you could do that one as well if you wanted.  K12 literature is particularly good in grades 6-8, BTW.

You can just do the literature strand by itself.  It's all split out for you.  So they have separate literature, grammar, vocabulary, and composition strands and you can pick which one(s) you want to do.  The composition tends to mesh with the literature, so you could do that one as well if you wanted.  K12 literature is particularly good in grades 6-8, BTW.

Slight hijack...

We have been using and loving K12's literature for grades 3-5, but it's very easy to use without an online component. I buy the teacher guide and student books used for a song and everything I need to teach it is right there.

I've heard that grades 6-8 is not like this. That the online part of the program is necessary, and you can't get buy with just the other pieces. Do you know if this is true?

I would love to continue with the program because it works so well for us, but I can't afford to enroll.

I've heard that grades 6-8 is not like this. That the online part of the program is necessary, and you can't get buy with just the other pieces. Do you know if this is true?

You are correct.  The literature part of the courses in grades 6-8 is online and is not replicated in the print materials.  We found this to add a great deal to the experience, but it *is* expensive.