Menu

On screen reading vs real book reading

beishan

Recently I discovered something from observing my son reading. We have been working with his reading since late 1st grade and he is making steady progress. We are using Dancing Bears (just start C yesterday) and I SEE SAM (now on ARI3/set6). We also went to COVD and found he has farsightedness on left eye. After wearing glassess, the skipping lines issue reduced. COVD said that he does not need VT.

He has no issue reading I SEE SAM stories even in ARI3 (set6) that we just started. He rarely misreads word in I SEE SAM unless he is really tired and cannot focus. Last week, I signed up trail for Raz-Kids as recommanded by a friend. My son's school is using similar leveled system and he has been complaining teacher does not allow him to move up level because he still does not read fluently at lower level. I have been puzzled because he is reading 2nd grade level books at home and why he cannot pass these lower leveled assessment to move up to reflect his actual ability. Therefore, I think Raz-Kids may help as the leveled books are similar and he can get familiar with them. However, when he starts to use it, I found he read choppy when reading from the computer screen (i have 21" LCD screen) even for easy levels. He will miss ending sound -s/-es and skip little words more often than reading the real books. He used to have this issue with real book as well. However, after many practices, now he does not miss too much ending sound when reading real books. However, the same problem came back when he reads on screen. I switched Raz-Kids to my tablet and it seems improved a little bit. Is it normal or do I miss any potential issue with his reading?

Reading on a big monitor can be much more difficult than read on a smaller screen (iPad, Fire, Kindle, etc.) and some people have lots of trouble with anything backlit.  I'd be willing to bet it's just a reading on a screen issue.  I also wonder if he uses his finger on paper to run along the words to keep track of where he is (which is perfectly age/level appropriate), but cannot on the computer or tablet.

Thanks for the comments.

The computer/monitor is on my desk which is adult size study unit.

I had him sit at his own desk/chair to read on my 7" google tablet last night. He was doing a lot better. His desk is specially made for children. Both desk and chair have been adjusted to his height and desk can also be tilted for easy reading position

Yes, he uses his fingers to point on paper sometimes and he is not able to do so with computer screen. Last night, he expanded the font and made only one line appearing on the screen each time when reading on tablet and he did not miss any sound this time, Next time I may also try to adjust the backlit or put on tinted background. Thanks.