Menu

Talk me down? Raccoon related. . .

Alicia64

Many animal lovers have their beloved pets pets euthanized when it becomes necessary. I don't think it's uncaring or inhumane to let the wildlife removal people do what's necessary in this situation either.

I don't think it is necessary to kill the raccoon. It hasn't bothered anyone, nor has it done any harm.

I don't think we can justify the killing of an animal simply because it's in our yard or under our deck.

I don't think it is necessary to kill the raccoon. It hasn't bothered anyone, nor has it done any harm.

I don't think we can justify the killing of an animal simply because it's in our yard or under our deck.

One thing I've learned is that raccoons can have two or three dens. It appears that he's moved on. i wonder if he thought there was too much activity around his den under my porch.

1. The original pest co. guy saw him. And the raccoon saw the pest guy.

2. Then a new wildlife management lady was down there and she set the traps w/ one of her guys. So more boots, more smells, more people.

3. Then DH has been traveling so I leave my front porch much more lit up than he does when he's home. He likes one light on that stands out in the yard -- whereas I light up the whole porch that swings around to a mud room.

It's possible the raccoon thinks there's too many weird smells and too much light. . . and isn't taking any chances.

Alley

Where did all the other raccoons go? In your original post about this, you said the pest control guy found 11 raccoons under your porch. To me, that sounds like a genuine problem that needs to be controlled from a human health point of view, not a case of targeting poor little animals for no reason.

I agree. We're in THEIR territory, after all.  Alicia, I feel your pain.  I've been working with Wildlife Rehabers to get my raccoons safely out of my attic without leaving orphaned babies or anything.  So far it seems to have worked.  I don't like them being in my attic, but I'm glad it's illegal to kill them here. 

Where did all the other raccoons go? In your original post about this, you said the pest control guy found 11 raccoons under your porch. To me, that sounds like a genuine problem that needs to be controlled from a human health point of view, not a case of targeting poor little animals for no reason.

Well, the exterminator-bug guy who originally saw the raccoon wrote a note and left it on my door that he found 11 raccoons under our porch. I had assumed they were small or babies. We have a largish porch, btw.

Turns out his writing was bad. What I thought was an "11" was a badly written capital "A." He wrote two lines with a slash very badly.

I was embarrassed to make such a silly mistake though.

Alley

I agree. We're in THEIR territory, after all.  Alicia, I feel your pain.  I've been working with Wildlife Rehabers to get my raccoons safely out of my attic without leaving orphaned babies or anything.  So far it seems to have worked.  I don't like them being in my attic, but I'm glad it's illegal to kill them here. 

Can you share what worked that got the raccoon out of your attic?

Alley

Well, the exterminator-bug guy who originally saw the raccoon wrote a note and left it on my door that he found 11 raccoons under our porch. I had assumed they were small or babies. We have a largish porch, btw.

Turns out his writing was bad. What I thought was an "11" was a badly written capital "A." He wrote two lines with a slash very badly.

I was embarrassed to make such a silly mistake though.

Alley

:lol: That's good.