Menu

Can I use WWS 1 with my 6 th grader?

Mommyfaithe

Yes, I think you need both books.  Also, depending on your student's content/background knowledge, you might find it very useful to look ahead and get him some books/docos about some of the topics. Or even just plan to do an internet search and find some videos to watch (on things like undersea vents or volcanoes).

The idea in WWS is that you are learning to write from SWB's notes, she doesn't teach them to take notes on their own till the end.  But for a lot of kids, it is hard for them to write from someone else's notes on a topic they know nothing about - the notes in the manual just make an unfamiliar topic more cryptic.  

We didn't do this for every topic, but when we did, it was very helpful, and the writing was less difficult and of higher quality.  Particularly if she was interested in the topic, it was worth it to take a little extra time to let her get more background knowledge about it before trying to write.  She spent a week reading about the Titanic and watching docos, and really enjoyed that assignment.

My 6th grader does it, and it's definitely the subject she loves to hate! She can see, and is proud of, her improvement, but it's hard work! We aim for 6 weeks of lesson during a quarter, so 2-3 days worth each week, but have not yet met that goal!

The teacher manual helps me a lot and I'm glad to have it.

My 6th grader does it, and it's definitely the subject she loves to hate! She can see, and is proud of, her improvement, but it's hard work! We aim for 6 weeks of lesson during a quarter, so 2-3 days worth each week, but have not yet met that goal!

The teacher manual helps me a lot and I'm glad to have it.

That's what my DD says too. It's hard work, and sometimes we take multiple days to do a lesson, so I think we will not finish it this school year, and I'm okay with that. But she says it helps with her history work, so I think the work is worth it.

My 6th grader is currently using it. She is doing well, but it's definitely challenging. I don't anticipate finishing in the 36 weeks as some lessons take more than a day, but we are ok with that. I don't need the teaches manual often, but it has definitely been worth having at times.