Menu

Best informational books about different religions/beliefs?

Joker

Our oldest is 14 and isn't really sure what she thinks or believes. We want to encourage her to study other religions and come to her own decision. She has a list of the few she would like to learn more about and she was able to list several she didn't want to study further. She did express a desire to believe in a higher power/s, though. So, here is her list of those she wishes to learn more about. Please offer up any and all suggestions for the following:

Christianity - We have many C.S. Lewis books already, but any other recommendations are welcome. We're currently going through RCIA with the Catholic church and she wants to continue, but she isn't sure what she believes.

Hinduism

Buddhism

Judaism

Islam

FTR, dh has been an atheist since I met him. He wishes to believe but hasn't. He recently mentioned he is feeling a bit differently as we're going through the RCIA process so we're hopeful. He does not wish at this time to share the fact that he has spent most of his life as an atheist with our dds. He feels it would only encourage older to believe in nothing, and he doesn't want that.

I actually have the Complete Idiots Guide to World Religions. It has some surprisingly good overviews... Nothing too deep, but would give her good starting points and perhaps help her narrow things down.

What about websites such as beliefnet.com or Patheos.com? Lots of reading on all different topics.

Two books about Orthodox Christianity:

The Orthodox Church by Bishop Kallistos Ware (the "standard")

Common Ground by Jordan Baijis (one of my favorites)

Not a book, but I've found this board to be a great place to get honest, straightforward info on different beliefs, especially when honest questions are asked and kind and knowledgeable answers given.  Blessings to your daughter on her journey.

ETA -- Our library had a good book a couple of years ago with descriptions of the different religions.  I was fairly impressed with it so will try to find the name of it.