Menu

What would you do?

My almost 15yo son is doing Derek Owens' Geometry class. I just recently realized that he isn't doing any of the exercises assigned.

He watches the lectures, takes notes, looks at the book if he gets stuck on a concept, has contacted the instructor about 3-4 times since the beginning of the year just to see if he is logically thinking through his proofs, and does all the homework and tests. He has a solid A grade (aces almost every hw assignment), I think a 95% overall.

He is a slow but thorough worker and he spends 1-1 1/2 hrs a day getting through the videos and homework. I can't even imagine how long it would take him to do 40 extra problems in the exercises. So what do you think? Is this ok since he is doing well? Or is it really going to hurt him somehow?

My almost 15yo son is doing Derek Owens' Geometry class. I just recently realized that he isn't doing any of the exercises assigned.

He watches the lectures, takes notes, looks at the book if he gets stuck on a concept, has contacted the instructor about 3-4 times since the beginning of the year just to see if he is logically thinking through his proofs, and does all the homework and tests. He has a solid A grade (aces almost every hw assignment), I think a 95% overall.

He is a slow but thorough worker and he spends 1-1 1/2 hrs a day getting through the videos and homework. I can't even imagine how long it would take him to do 40 extra problems in the exercises. So what do you think? Is this ok since he is doing well? Or is it really going to hurt him somehow?

I am confused. What are the "assigned exercises" if not "homework"? Are they voluntary? Is there any consequence to not completing them?

If a student aces homework and tests and has a 95%, I would see no need for extra practice exercises. Tests should be designed to test mastery; if he does well, he has apparently mastered the concept.

No, the exercises are strictly for the student to try on their own and check according to answers in the back. The teacher never sees them. And, apparently I didn't either! LOL I don't think they are "voluntary" according to the instructor, but my son seems to feel they are a waste of time if he is doing well on the homework and tests.

No, the exercises are strictly for the student to try on their own and check according to answers in the back. The teacher never sees them. And, apparently I didn't either! LOL I don't think they are "voluntary" according to the instructor, but my son seems to feel they are a waste of time if he is doing well on the homework and tests.

I would tend to agree, since I assume the homework problems have been carefully selected to give a representative sample of the material to be learned.

I would, however, examine the exercises and see if they are different in style and/or content from the homework.

If they are truly just more of the same, I think he can skip them.

If they illustrate different aspects or techniques and supplement the tested (through homework and tests) content, I would have him compete them. This said, I would find it a poorly designed course if this was the case.

Derek Owens is very responsive to emails. I'd email him directly and ask.

My boys are taking his Algebra I course. To me, the Algebra practice exercises look the same as the homework exercises. They're "practice" problems with answers so the student can be sure he gets the lesson before doing the homework exercises which get turned in and graded. If your son has a solid A on homework and tests, I wouldn't think he needs to do the extra practice problems and wouldn't worry about it, but Derek is the person to ask.

When I taught high school math I provided exercises for students to see if they understood the content, but nothing was required. Some kids need serious drill and kill to feel competent for tests, some don't. Though it confused parents as to why their child always said they had no consistent math homework ( they had projects and reports, but no standard exercises) it worked very well for most kids. Those who didn't need it weren't bogged down, those who did had the problems, and I didn't have to correct stacks of unnecessary paperwork. If a kid totally bombed a test they had to do some explaining, but it was much more real world experience and much less hand-holding.

If your child gets it, he gets it. If you are worried about study skills, that is a different matter. Just be sure your son is being honest with himself.