Menu

Is there something like Keys to for Language Arts

sandst

My recently turned 14 year old needs something to build on her LA skills. She reads beautifully and reads all the time but our LA instruction has been touch and go both on her writting abilities and her grammar ones. She is also not the best speller in the world.

We used the Keys Series to solidify her Math and she has done wonderfully.

Maybe someone can chime in...

I'm guessing you like Keys To... because it's gentle and incremental and direct. Try "Writing Skills" by Diana King published by EPS. If you feel her skills are weak, start with book 1. It's aimed at 5-6th grade, but is not particularly childish. Here's the table of contents.

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/downloads/samples/2561M/ws_1_TOC.pdf

Another gentle, incremental and direct program I've had a lot of success with is Apples and Pears Spelling. You'll need both the teacher and student book. It's scripted and intended for one-on-one instruction which I think is essential for kids (and adults) with spelling problems. Have her take the placement test. Here's a link to book C teachers manual. http://www.prometheantrust.org/admin/files/tnc.pdf

Writing Skills has some grammar work in it.  I haven't used Keys to, so I'm not sure what to suggest.  If you want a quick daily check-up that will help show you where she needs instruction, I would take a look at Daily Grams.  But it doesn't have instruction in it (sometimes it will have a reminder of a rule, but not always). 

Writing Skills focuses on grammar in a writing context. It should do the trick for getting her up to speed. It's incremental, so it starts with parts of speech, moves to punctuating clauses, constructing sentences, organizing paragraphs and finally on to essays.