Menu

8th grade grammar

I have an 8th grader who will be going to high school next year.  All of a sudden I looked up and realized that we are 1/2 way through the school year and haven't been keeping up with grammar.  We do Vocab Classical Roots, she has a Literature class (outside the home) that includes writing and reading.  She has finished the entire Spelling Workout series and we went all the way through First Language Lessons and the portion of Advanced Language Lessons that SWB didn't finish publishing.  She also did Voyages in English 6, and some of Rod and Staff 7.  The problem for me is that FLL and ALL was so comprehensive, easy to use and great, that everything we've used since has just not been great for us.  I'm so bummed that there is no curriculum for kids older than 6th grade from SWB.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something we could try?  Looking for 8th grade level, prefer something that includes diagramming and not too repetitive--she gets grammar pretty well and a lot of what I see seems just not advanced enough for this age.  

Rod and Staff is OK, but kind of overkill, seems better suited for a class, and is just too much.  

Thanks!

Kristin in NYC

(dd-13, ds-11, ds-5)

Have you looked into Analytical Grammar yet? My 8th grader is about through with it.... She has done really well with the diagramming & parsing.

On the website, she shows you the recommended timeline if you start in the 8th grade.

http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/analytical-grammar

Oh, my dd uses the dvd's, too, which frees me up tremendously!

I'm using English Grammar Revolution's Get Smart program.  It's super easy, super quick, and based around diagramming.  Basically, for each lesson there is a video where she teaches the concept, and then there are 5 sentences.  We watch a video and do one sentence, and then the next two days the boys diagram two sentences a day. 

Can you do that in a half a year? The schedules showed 2 and 3 year plans and talk about doing it in a year if they are in 11th or 12th.

I don't see how you could do all three seasons in half a year...... Correct me if I have misinterpreted what you asked.

Yea, that's just not possible or sane!

"Rules of the game" published by EPS has been great for my kids! Keep in mind, many public schools don't teach grammar anymore (instead teaching writing mechanics within the context of a writing assignment)... She's probably quite advanced compared to her colleagues.

Our family uses Abeka Grammar & Composition II (8th grade grammar).  The kids don't do all the problems because, like you said, it can be overkill.  Your student can skip over all the easy parts they have already learned in 6th grade, but definitely do the "new" content, which you can look through to see if it is "new" to you. 

A good friend of mine also recommended Hake but our family has been using Abeka grammar and it has worked really well for our family.  I know these 2 programs are very comprehensive in what the 8th grader should be learning.  After that, grammar will mostly be done in the context of their writing.  In other words, grammar is a finite subject that shouldn't have anything else to learn after 8th grade.

Hope that helps.

My dd did all of AG during 8th grade. She started in August and finished in early April, so it took less than a year, but well over one semester. 

We loved AG. It was the first grammar program that really took for her and I can't recommend it highly enough. You could get through the first season and maybe even the second. The first is the longest and most challenging. If you really wanted her completely finished with it before high school, she could finish it up over the summer. The last part was the easiest and wouldn't take much time out of her summer break.