Menu

Any Thoughts on Sylvan?

Guest bcaron

Never used it, but I did work for Huntington before going freelance. The two companies might be rad. different, so this is with a big grain of salt...

Turnover at Huntington was huge, and pay was a fraction of what the parents were charged. Kids mill through the process and trudge through the next worksheet in the pre-planned track. Parents seemed clueless, and dropped kids off like dropping a car off for an oil change. Yuck.

Maybe Sylvan is different, but after my stint, I don't trust the ads of any storefront tutoring business.

My DD used Sylvan years ago.  The woman in charge was caring and tried to help, but I agree with what others have said, this is assembly line industrial education where kids are just processed through like manufacturing tires.  There are some aspects my DD liked, but she learned very little and the staff were not terribly knowledgeable about the subjects they were supposedly tutoring the students in.  There was virtually NO one on one instruction.  The kids were sat at tables in small groups, headphones stuck on their heads to hear some sort of instruction, then they did worksheets, etc.  And they charged a fortune.   I do not recommend it, unless the child has no where else to go.

My dd did a an individual writing class there many years ago to supplement the poor writing instruction at the local middle school. The center was well-run and the instructor was wonderful, but it was expensive. I think the quality of the Sylvan centers varies depending on who is running them and who is teaching there. For supplemental math instruction while my kids were in public school, we used Kumon. But again, the quality of the Kumon centers depends on who is running them. My kids learned a lot at Kumon and enjoyed progressing through the program.