Menu

If you've read Grain Brain ....

MIch elle

No. My dad has Type 2 diabetes, but I don't want to "evangelize" to him on how he should eat. It would be different if he asked for my opinion, but just to give it to him? No. 

Again, only if requested. I've had enough health/nutrition discussions with people (even who seems interested and inquisitive) and were dead ends. People have to practically beg me on hands and knees to get that kind of info out of me anymore. And, I'm on to topics that are of more interest to me now . . . ;)

I have type 2 diabetes.  I also have the type of friends that are "research it to death'rs" so when it fell on their radar, they (each) (independently) presented me with an onslaught of information - books, blogs, documentaries, and even a cookbook. I accepted all of it graciously, because I believe the thought counts, but I didn't read most of it because I've been managing the problem just fine for years.

So I think it depends on the person. Is it a good friend that will see you mean well? Is it someone who might still be struggling with the diagnosis?  Diabetes is sometimes viewed in the same way some cancers are (lung, e.g.) in that lifestyle choices are often blamed - so it's hard for some to get feedback on the disease if they're in the frame of mind that others are judging them. It doesn't mean that you ARE judging, it just means it may be perceived as such because of where the PATIENT is. I haven't read it, but I'm guessing it covers diet ;) Truth is, most diabetics know what aggravates their condition. This book is only going to go over well if they're ready to read it and process the information to make those changes. Does this describe your friend?

There may be a middle ground - what about discussing some of the information from the book, and in the course of natural conversation seeing if the other person might be interested in reading it. It may be interesting even outside of diabetes, you know?