Menu

Starting VP Middle Ages mid-year - advice?

redquilthorse

We changed our history curricula halfway through this school year. We are now using VP history cards and love it so far. But we didn't start the Middle Ages cards until this month. So if I use the cards as is, we will be off a semester every year (starting a new set of cards in January instead of August, when we start our school year). Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I just keep going this way and figure it out when my oldest hits high school (he is currently 5th grade)? Or do I skip a few cards here and there over the next year or two so we are starting a new set each fall? I am not even sure I can go fast enough to get through a card a week, so it might take more than 36 weeks to finish a set of cards. Some weeks look like they will be easier than others. 

I don't typically homeschool through the summer, if that helps. I have not decided whether we will switch to year round next year and start this summer or not. But for the current school year, we finish in May.

I wouldn't skip cards.  You are right that some are lighter than others, so some cards might take less than a week.  Given that you want to finish in May, I'd keep going, but I wouldn't force it.  Then in the fall pick it up again as long as you want to continue with Middle Ages.  Or go on to the next set.  Most people don't use them past 6th or 7th grade, and you don't have to do them all.  My youngest did the Explorers-1815 set in 6th and then 1815-Modern in 7th.

Sorry I'm coming at this kind of late!  The online self-paced MARR from VP is particularly good.  If you were to do it, you might find your ds enjoyed it so much he'd beg to do it through the summer, solving your problem.  :D

My dd did MARR and almost all the levels of the self-paced.  Before that, I taught her with the materials myself, which was fine but not the same.  They just do a fabulous job with the online stuff.