Menu

DIY Whiteboards?

I've found a few threads from years past about using shower board or tile board from a hardware store to use for giant, cheap whiteboards. Does anyone have one? It seems that the overall consensus was pretty mixed. Some people loved them & used them for years, but others found that they were difficult to clean.

I would think, for us, even if they do require some extra care, it would be worth it for the savings.

We have one and we like it.

It doesn't clean well. New markers do better than older ones, but they all leave shadows. I bought a gallon bottle of white board cleaning solution from Amazon soon after we put it up and it has lasted years (and will last longer than homeschooling here). It isn't a big deal to clean it when it gets some marker build up. 

Someone posted the trick of using turtle wax on the board to make it erase cleaner. I tried it and it didn't help here. I would have preferred a huge, high quality board that cleans easily, but frankly, the cost difference isn't worth it. A 10 year supply of cleaning solution was something like $10 :). For us that was a win.

My husband was going to get showerboard at Home Depot, but saw they also had sheets called Marker Board for a similar price. He bought that and it's great! It's thin, so it has to be mounted, but it cleans just fine. If I leave the marker up a long time, then I use Simple Green all purpose cleaner and it comes right off. 

Here's a post with a picture of how we did it:

31 Days of Organizing Homeschool Stuff: Schedule & Chore Board

I also bought whiteboard from HD (or maybe Lowe's?) and we love it.  It is probably 3' x 4' and was not called showerboard.  I think it was called melanine or something, but I could be wrong on that.  I just asked at customer service for exactly what I wanted - whiteboard to use markers on - and this is what they directed me to.  I actually have four of them, and I use them on an easel.  They are thin and so a little "bouncy" for easel use (esp when DS tries to write on them).  It would be better if they were mounted, but I don't have the wall space for that (plus I like being able to move them around anyway).

Sometimes my marker does stain the board, but a damp Magic eraser has always gotten it totally clean again.  I think it is more the marker's fault than the board, in my case, since some of my markers stain worse than others.  I think the Expo markers do the best... I have another brand called Boone that I have tossed a bunch of for immediate staining (I write then immediately try to erase and they already stain!).  The Expos stain also, but only if I leave the writing a few days, and the Magic Eraser always removes it without too much elbow grease.

My hubby just installed ours today.  He built a little frame to mount it to so it wasn't taped or glued to the wall and he used white trim around the edges to finish it off.  Ours is 4X8 I think.  We haven't tested it out yet to see how easily markers erase but I'm sure my little magic eraser will get anything off that lingers :-)

My hubby just installed ours today.  He built a little frame to mount it to so it wasn't taped or glued to the wall and he used white trim around the edges to finish it off.  Ours is 4X8 I think.  We haven't tested it out yet to see how easily markers erase but I'm sure my little magic eraser will get anything off that lingers :-)

instead of tape, I use wet erase markers for the lines that I want to be semi permanent and then I use dry erase for the other.

I have the top portion of my white board marked with boxes for each subject and the children's names in them  (done in wet erase) and the chapter/book/assignment for the week in dry erase.  I probably have to re-do it three times a year