Menu

Get 'er done American history for 11th grade.....

I just bought TTC's A History of the United States 2nd edition over Christmas break.  This could either be used as the primary curriculum or to supplement a different primary curriculum.  Is it enough to watch this DVD series and have dd answer the questions at the end of each chapter from the course book that came with the DVDs? There are literally only a couple of questions at the end of each chapter- no answer key.  

I've been considering three texts that she could read alongside watching the DVDs:

The American Odyssey (K12)

Bennett's The Last Best Hope

BJU's 11th grade American history text

Could any of you offer any feedback on these options?  Which of these texts would work best with this particular dvd series? 

This dc wants/needs history to be taught as a story- she hates names, places, dates, etc to memorize.  She'll have a challenging schedule next year and doesn't want to have a heavy-handed history.  I can see her reading a chapter/topic, watching the DVD, and writing a summary.  We could try to loosely follow WTM categories.  She will have completed MFW Ancient and World history by the end of 10th grade.  (We would continue with MFW if we were not going to outsource American lit comp with a WONDERFUL teacher we know personally.)

She'll complete an outsourced American literature composition class and possibly an outsourced government/economics class alongside this home-bound American history course.

If she wants history as a story, I recommend Bennett. America-Last best Hope is not a textbook, but a rather readable non-fiction book. I am using it for my DD who is not interested in US history.

Thanks, Regentrude!

Does your dd just read only, or does she also write summaries, answer questions, research topics, etc...?

Thanks, Regentrude!

Does your dd just read only, or does she also write summaries, answer questions, research topics, etc...?

We are covering US history concurrently with the relevant periods of World history, not as a stand-alone course. She writes summaries about the World history and does her semester project about a world history topic. The US history books she just reads. Modern history is the only of her subjects (since the beginning of high school, really) in which she has absolutely no interest and where we take a "get 'er done/ it's good enough" approach.

I'm using Tindall's America: A Narrative history for my university class. I also plan on using it for our history spine. It's very readable. We'll be doing volume 2, which is reconstruction to modern. NOt sure what he'll do for output yet. 

Another option might be Boorstin's The Americans.  I've not read them, but have other Boorstin books I enjoy. 

My dd enjoyed Paul Johnson's History of the American People.  It's a thick paperback book, but very story-like, with lots of interesting details.  Basically, I just had dd read--no summaries or papers.  Between all the pressure in her other courses (including an outside course that took up many hours), and trying to fit in some Omnibus and US government at the same time, American history needed to be a "get 'r done."  Dd found reading the book a pleasant break from everything. 

Another reason to just read it: the book is divided into large time period sections, with no chapter breaks whatsoever--the narrative just flows from one thing to the next, with only headers at the top of the pages giving a general idea of what's going on.  So it doesn't make a good reference work or lend itself to summarization.  (I also did not have her read the entire book, just the relevant time periods we were trying to cover that year.)

My dd enjoyed Paul Johnson's History of the American People.  It's a thick paperback book, but very story-like, with lots of interesting details.  Basically, I just had dd read--no summaries or papers.  Between all the pressure in her other courses (including an outside course that took up many hours), and trying to fit in some Omnibus and US government at the same time, American history needed to be a "get 'r done."  Dd found reading the book a pleasant break from everything. 

Another reason to just read it: the book is divided into large time period sections, with no chapter breaks whatsoever--the narrative just flows from one thing to the next, with only headers at the top of the pages giving a general idea of what's going on.  So it doesn't make a good reference work or lend itself to summarization.  (I also did not have her read the entire book, just the relevant time periods we were trying to cover that year.)

Thanks so much for posting this, Musicmom!  

I have been wondering if it is ok to *just* read (or in the case of having this DVD series, just watch).  

I don't want to skimp on American history at all.  In fact, I feel like watching the DVDs and discussing them may truly be "less is more".  

I think she would resent busy work (and not retain anything) but would be more inclined to absorb the content if it had a simple presentation like this. This is especially true with the schedule I think she'll be doing next year.  I'm shooting for overall balance among her courses so that she can spend more time on subjects that will require more time and less time on history which does not *have* to be rigorous. 

I think it would be a good idea to have something to go along with the DVDs though.  Thus my question about the other books.  Thank you for your recommendation for Paul Johnson's book.  It is certainly a popular title.  I've read about it on many American history threads that I've read with this dc in mind. I've looked at it before yet not recently.  I'll give it another look.

I think I would have her take notes on the lectures and maybe write some summaries.  She could research anything that she found interesting or important- The point being that she gain understanding (and hopefully a love) of American history in a way that is not crammed with rigor and deadlines.  If her interest is struck in such a way, she can enjoy American history for years past high school... which is a likely scenario.

Thanks so much for posting this, Musicmom!  

I have been wondering if it is ok to *just* read (or in the case of having this DVD series, just watch).  

I don't want to skimp on American history at all.  In fact, I feel like watching the DVDs and discussing them may truly be "less is more".  

I think she would resent busy work (and not retain anything) but would be more inclined to absorb the content if it had a simple presentation like this. This is especially true with the schedule I think she'll be doing next year.  I'm shooting for overall balance among her courses so that she can spend more time on subjects that will require more time and less time on history which does not *have* to be rigorous. 

I think it would be a good idea to have something to go along with the DVDs though.  Thus my question about the other books.  Thank you for your recommendation for Paul Johnson's book.  It is certainly a popular title.  I've read about it on many American history threads that I've read with this dc in mind. I've looked at it before yet not recently.  I'll give it another look.

I think I would have her take notes on the lectures and maybe write some summaries.  She could research anything that she found interesting or important- The point being that she gain understanding (and hopefully a love) of American history in a way that is not crammed with rigor and deadlines.  If her interest is struck in such a way, she can enjoy American history for years past high school... which is a likely scenario.

Sounds like a great plan! Yes, oftentimes less is more--I've never felt like busywork was worthwhile.  I think my dd got more by just reading.  She'd often say things like, "Oh, so that's why..." or "Mom, did you know that..."  So I knew she was absorbing it.

Also, taking notes on the lectures is excellent preparation for college, as is researching interesting or important topics--so those activities are very worthwhile.  Best of luck! :)