Menu

I feel like I am stuck in the middle

Rjmakmom

I started a small co-op at my church in Sept. At that point, 3 of my 4 kids had gone back to public school and only my 8th grader was attending. By the end of Sept, she ended up returning to school as well. I stayed a few more weeks to transition the co-op over to new leadership, and that was that. Last night my husband was at the church board meeting and there were lots of complaints about the condition the parish house is being left in. Now, lots of groups use the space, some free and some pay. Usually to get it from free you must have the sponsorship of a church member, in this case, me. My 4th grader, in the last few days, has decided that public school hasn't worked out for her the way she hoped, and wants to come home. I plan on putting her back into the co-op I started. Then last night happened. I tried to get info from the new leadership- she and I had a major falling out 2 months ago and it is hostile- but was meeting with resistance. Then she turned around and posted my message to her on the fb page. She and her co-leader want to handle this directly with the church, but that is not the way it works- my name is attached to the program, I am the member sponsor, and they want to talk to me. I have asked the rector to schedule a meeting that all may attend, and am waiting to hear back. I truly don't believe the co-op is the group leaving the messes, the group I suspect, though, is a new church that rents space from us- and for a hefty fee each month. Problem is, I can't prove that it isn't the co-op. When I left, I strongly suggested that they take pictures of the rooms before leaving each week- no one did. I am getting push-back from the co-op members who want to be able to deal directly with the board, and while I understand their need to "clear their names" it's just not the way it's handled until the board agrees to a meeting. Thoughts? Ideas? 

I would let them know that they have two choices, follow the requirements from the church that go with your sponsorship or find a new location/pay for use of the church as an unsponsored group.

If your name is attached to the activity you have a right to have some say in what is going on and be provided the information you request.

1. Are you sure you want back *in* to this co-op? I know you started it and all, but it sounds like it has changed, not for the better?

2. If you have a written contract/agreement with the church, give them a copy. If communication has to go through you, it goes through you, or else you just RUN and let them find a new space or pay as an un-sponsored/non-member group.

So, one way or another, get out of the middle. Sorry people do weird things.  I hope it works out peacefully.