Menu

If you have experience with MUS combined alg/geo...

It's old enough I can't really find samples. Would this be a good idea for a kid who could stand a repeat of algebra 1 for 10th? He could probably move quicker through the algebra parts, and hopefully the new-to-him geometry added would keep it more interesting. If we go this way I'd probably keep him in the MUS sequence to finish high school.

Fwiw, he's currently using Jacobs. It seems to be a good fit for him, at tortoise pace, with plenty of backing up. This is normal for him, but I'm not confident that it's getting in deep enough to stick. He's a strong humanities kid, but math and science are like kryptonite. Our goal for him is alg 2 before graduation.

When my daughter struggled and went slow through Jacob's Algebra, I added in Keys to Algebra and it made all the difference. I am guessing that MUS would have that effect too. I did it at the same time as the Jacob's Algebra.

But I am sure that mixing geometry and algebra would work well. There is not heavy algebra in geometry, but it is there, sort of really. So, you could do that side by side.

Keys to Algebra is a good idea. :) How to make him think extra practice is his idea... lol

Surely the geometry in the older, combined alg/geo edition wouldn't have been covered by Jacobs? I'll see if I can find a TOC. I know MUS is considered "light," but I am specifically looking for a review. This DS has taken more than a school year to finish the last several math books he's used. If he could finish this one in less than a year it would boost confidence. :)

There's a Jacobs to MUS experience in a current Jacobs thread that sounds positive.

The alg would be very simple review.    The geo is applying basic theorems in basic situations with a few simple proofs. (like finding interior alternating angles in terms of degrees, etc.)   If he started the text now, he could easily finish the entire book in 1 semester.   My kids have had no problem finishing the book in ( or under) a school yr jumping into it directly from Horizons 6.   W/the alg being review, he could easily finish 2+ lessons per week.   If he isn't going to use it until next yr and you want it to last the entire school yr, I would see if you could get the supplementary "honors" book (which was eventually incorporated into the texts.) Or plan on him moving beyond geo and into their alg 2 sequence sometime next yr.

Well, I assumed it would take him nearly all of a year, but maybe we should start as soon as I find all the parts. We could shore up weaker alg or geo areas later with Jacobs. Hm...

I didn't know about the honors book. Thanks. :) This is sounding more doable.

We are doing this, and it is working well.  Each week dd completes one lesson of Algebra I as a review and one lesson of Geometry as the new material.  We don't try to do any more than one lesson per week because she needs to work all of the review sheets.  MUS wasn't a curriculum we had used in the past, and it wasn't something we even considered, but it has been an excellent fit for last dc -- zero math stress, solid grades, and finally understanding and retention of concepts.