Menu

FAFSA hints?

Jennifer in MI

The best line by line reference comes from the FAFSA. Most people fine they do not need to read this though. I'd keep it open in another tab just in case you get stuck on a question but don't force yourself to read the whole thing. https://fafsa.ed.gov/fotw1314/pdf/PdfFafsa13-14.pdf

Nearly every parent I've worked with said the FAFSA turned out to be a lot easier than they expected. The average time to finish is 20-30 minutes. So I suggest making a cup of cocoa or tea and start filling it out. You may be pleasantly surprised, but either way you will get through it. Good luck!

I filled out the FAFSA twice last week - DD20 and DS18 both need it for this fall.  My strategy was to sit down with last year's tax returns - ours AND the kids and the latest bank statements for everyone.  FAFSA has great hints for all the money fields - it says things like "If you filed a 1040, use line 44, 1040A then use line 36, etc".

It really took about 20 minutes to do the first one and probably 10 for the second and that included filing for DS18's new pin.  When we get our taxes filed for 2013 in February, I will go back in and update with the "real" numbers - probably another 10 minutes tops - but all of the schools so far have been happy to use the estimated numbers based on last year's returns.

The schools and the FAFSA will include all of your salary including housing/housing allowance. Dh missed something the first time around and we had to redo it and the scholarship amounts changed, after she had decided on which school. It was looking good for a while....