Menu

Would you recommend the HEAV conference in VA?

I used to live in Richmond and I miss the HEAV convention. It is well organized, good variety of speakers and vendors. The used book sale is great for bargain finds. I now attend one or both of the conventions held here in the Atlanta area. I still prefer the HEAV convention. The only draw back that I can remember from HEAV is parking. I always planned to arrive early so I could still get a space in the parking garage across the street. HTH

I went last year and really enjoyed it. But it was my first convention, so I don't have anything to compare it to!

Parking was definitely tricky. Plus, it rained, so the people that had to walk far got pretty wet.

The Used Curriculum Sale was amazing! I got some great deals.

I have  gone to the HEAV convention every year since 1994.  It is a great conference.  They do usually have good speakers and information.  The people are open and friendly.

the vendor hall is great and the used curriculum hall is even better.

They have a membership convention open registration coming soon.  It will be $49 for members.  I don't know when they will open it for all.  The earlier you registar the earlier you get in to the used curriculum,  The volunteers get in first so that is a good thing to do too. 

I usually volunteer on Thursday at the information and security booth.

We went two years ago and my kids did one day of the children's program. We aren't Christian, FWIW. I went because it is HUGE and the curriculum fair was unbelievable. There were so many hands-on things for the kids to do. I didn't go last year because I didn't want to deal the the Duggar crowds. 

It's great. Well organized, a huge variety of speakers (all, of course, with a Christian worldview). I really enjoyed most of the speakers I listened to. The used curriculum fair is larger than most regular curriculum fairs. 

We didn't stay near the convention center. We stayed about 15 minutes away at the Wyndham. I never had an issue with parking. We lived 90 minutes away and the only thing I regretted was trying to drive home on the last day. We should have spent another night in the hotel. We were exhausted!!!

It's a great convention. Really large with a huge line-up of speakers and vendors. It's all Christian worldview, as a pp mentioned, but you can find some secular stuff if you hunt for it. I'll agree with the parking issues. The Marriott is amazing and connected to the convention center so extremely convenient ( was so happy I stayed there the year of the monsoon rain). I'd say it's worth it, but I go every year. :)

I do think HEAV is working on some Parking issues I can't remember what I heard about it, but I do think they are looking at it.  Parking is always at a premium on Friday since it is also a work day.   Before you go know where some other parking options are so if you don't get into the convention center parking you know where to go. 

They also offer a luncheon for those in Leadership positions in hs groups and also single parent homeschoolers.