Menu

video based history for high school?

Are there any history programs for high school that are either completely video or audio based? 

My DS has dyslexia and he has done very well this year with video based programs such as Biology 101 and IEW-SWI, but has struggled using Notgrass history.  I am starting to plan out history for next year, but I am looking to avoid anything that has a large texbook as the spine of the program, (unless there is an audio option available as well.)  

Any suggestions?

Oh, I forgot all about those!  Thank you!

Are they worthy of a full credit?  I am not opposed to some reading/writing, as my son does hope to attend college eventually.   (I just know that large, thick textbooks seem to intimidate him right now, and he loses focus after too long.)

If he's diagnosed, maybe get the textbook from Learning Ally?  Have you seen some of the interactive ibook and ebook texts?  Many publishers are going to them.  You load them on a tablet and then click to see videos from History Channel, etc.  They're supposed to be fabulous.

Aside from the one extremely long course on US History, most courses are too short to constitute a credit in themselves.

But you can easily combine courses to create a full credit course, add discussions and whatever reading/writing would be appropriate for your student, and come up with a method of assessment.

For example, my son uses the following courses for his 9th grade Ancient history this year, over 80 hours of lectures:

Iliad, Odyssey, Herodotus, Aeneid, Greek Tragedy, Classical Mythology, Famous Romans, Rome: a Visual Exploration (this one on video)

For 10th grade Medieval studies, we are using the 3 Middle Ages lecture sets by Daileader (36 hours total), his new course on the impact of the Crusades, and a course about the Vikings.

Hope this works for your DS. Oh, and btw, they have now many courses on audible, which is the cheapest option to get TC courses (other than from a library)

Aside from the one extremely long course on US History, most courses are too short to constitute a credit in themselves.

But you can easily combine courses to create a full credit course, add discussions and whatever reading/writing would be appropriate for your student, and come up with a method of assessment.

For the op, remember too that you are actually supposed to be marking *units* on the transcript, not credits.  Unit is time spent, credit is material covered.  So what you might do, if TC is really awesome for him, is *combine* it with some other types of things.  He might like to listen to a 20 hour TC course, read several books on the topic for a total of 20 hours, and then do some form of creative project rabbit trailing an aspect that interested him.  He could make a documentary, a powerpoint, build a model, do stop motion animation with legoes, whatever floats his boat that extends and applies the topic and pulls together skills for him.  Then he has his 60 hours for a 1/2 unit.  Rinse and repeat 2nd semester, or even go a different way and do science 2nd semester and hit history again in the summer to spread the load. Or do TC for 30, documentaries for 30, read for 30, project for 30.  Shake it up, kwim?  He's bound to have something he's interested in or good at that could be used to extend his history into some rabbit trailing or a project...

Oh, and we agree, Notgrass is painful to read.  Try audiobooks for the books you're throwing at him to read.  He might actually really like history if you gave him something well-written...

My dyslexic dd used Hippocampus for US History.

She didn't like any of the video options for world history. After looking at a lot of textbooks, she said that she would really like something more like SOTW, but at a higher level. I had her look at the sample of the high school level book and she loved it. She has really enjoyed reading it. It isn't written like a textbook.

There is an audio edition.

http://www.amazon.com/History-Ancient-World-Earliest-Accounts/dp/B00D1YRUL4/ref=sr_1_1_title_2_audd?ie=UTF8&qid=1389295030&sr=8-1&keywords=history+of+the+ancient+world+bauer+audio