Menu

Inferential Comprehension

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice/experiences with helping children with inferential reading skills. My 8 yr. old DD is fabulous at literal comprehension so no problems there, and she reads above grade level, but struggles with inferring the not so obvious and underlying messages or themes to a story. She has a hard time imaging why a character might refrain from an activity in the future because of an experience they had in a story for example. Or explaining why two characters had such different reactions to a situation. She can only retell the surface answer, but struggles to see the deeper conflicts or hidden messages the author is trying to tell.

Should I worry? is there something I could do to strengthen this area?

Thanks!

I would not worry. I would let her read, lots and lots of god books, and I also would read aloud or let her listen to audiobooks that have more complex language and storyline and would be above her reading level.

The more books she reads or listens to while growing up and maturing, the easier it will be for her to grasp the undercurrents, the unspoken. In my experience, this can be achieved without direct instruction.

Making inferences is often hard for younger students. I do have my kids work through some targeted skill reading comp workbooks for practice in answering those kinds of questions on standardized tests. But mostly I think it's something that becomes easier with maturity. My 11 y.o. is much better at "reading between the lines" now than her 8 y.o. brother and how she was at age 8.

DS has used the "Inference Jones" series from Critical Thinking Press. This is the first book: http://www.criticalthinking.com/inference-jones-beginning.html

DD used the Curriculum Associates "Focus on Drawing Conclusions and Making Inferences" workbooks. It appears that RR no longer carries those.