Menu

I found a seat for the AMC this year!

Rejoice with me :party: Dd will be taking the AMC 10 at a university an hour away!

I asked all the high schools around here, and no one would allow dd to take the exam with their students :( I went onto MAA's locator and found that Villanova is offering the exam this year :D

The cost-----gas and my time. Love it!

Why do the schools not welcome homeschoolers to sit for the exam if the school is already giving it? I don't get it. At my son's high school, other students would be very welcome. Knowing the math coaches, they would try to get those kids to join the math team, too. LOL. 

At our local schools, the math teachers are more than welcoming to working with us, it's the administration that tends to prohibit homeschoolers saying they don't know how to discipline them if there is a problem (I suggest kicking them out if there is a problem, but that doesn't seem to work for them).

Why do the schools not welcome homeschoolers to sit for the exam if the school is already giving it? I don't get it. At my son's high school, other students would be very welcome. Knowing the math coaches, they would try to get those kids to join the math team, too. LOL.

There are 12 schools registered for the exams this year within a 25 mile radius of our zip code. None of the schools have open registration for their own student body! They only order enough copies for their math team(s), they only order enough copies for the top X students in the senior class, or they only order enough copies for the top Y students in each section of the various precalc and calc classes.

The hugely competitive math and science charter (Kathy in Richmond knows the school) limits exam takers to the kids who make their math team. I am positive there are other students at that school who would score quite well.

I hope to convince the university here to offer the exam in the future. Dd attends Math Circle there when she can skip ballet.

There are 12 schools registered for the exams this year within a 25 mile radius of our zip code. None of the schools have open registration for their own student body! They only order enough copies for their math team(s), they only order enough copies for the top X students in the senior class, or they only order enough copies for the top Y students in each section of the various precalc and calc classes.

The hugely competitive math and science charter (Kathy in Richmond knows the school) limits exam takers to the kids who make their math team. I am positive there are other students at that school who would score quite well.

I hope to convince the university here to offer the exam in the future. Dd attends Math Circle there when she can skip ballet.

Wow. How frustrating. My son's high school would allow all of the students to take it. They'd probably be thrilled to death. That would be about 3,300 students for soph-senior years. As it is, not many students want to take the AMCs in high school so maybe 50 or so take it. Not sure. It's sometimes given at 6:30 am so that could be a deterrent. LOL.

The Walter Payton Math Circle in Chicago offers the AMCs. If anyone in the Chicago area cannot find a place to sit for it, contact them to see if they can accommodate you. The people who run it are very nice and like to see students taking an interest in math.

Good luck to your daughter, Luckymama!

Dislike.  (Not you, the schools that restrict students from taking the AMC.)