Menu

My child likes to talk not to write

DD9 loves to talk. Actually, I think she needs to talk.  She talks all the time.  She also likes math, but she always sings during her math assignments or makes all kinds of scenarios.   She doesn't like to write though.  It takes her forever to start writing, than to finish writing.  I make her write cards for friends, to copy some sentences, not much, but it all takes forever.  

Do you know what I am talking about?  What to do?  I realize she is not going to be a writer, and I don't want to push unnecessary work down her throat, but she needs to learn to write eventually.   

I bet part of it is simply her age.  And some people are just extremely verbal.  Hang in there.  Have you started teaching her to type yet?  For my DS, being able to type his writing assignments, plus just getting a bit older, helped a lot.

:grouphug:

I have the same issue. My DS is almost 9. He talks and tells stories all days long, but he hates the actual physical act of writing. He also loves to sing--and often sings stories when he reads aloud. :)

I don't really have any advice to give, but I did get a lot out of reading Strong Willed Child or Dreamer (Dana Spears), which I saw recommended here.

I also just bought the Jot It Down curriculum from Brave Writer, which seems like a good fit for his creative personality. What works best right now is copywork and having him dictate longer stories to me. For copywork, I try to pick things from his favorite books, which he seems to enjoy best.

I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone else has other ideas.

One of my dds liked to talk. One did not, So, no, not an age thing. :-)

You can require her to do some writing, even now, just not whole pages. My singing daughter didn't read at her age level until she was 9 and a half, yet she was taking classes at the community college at 14, and graduated with honors. :-)

I bet part of it is simply her age.  And some people are just extremely verbal.  Hang in there.  Have you started teaching her to type yet?  For my DS, being able to type his writing assignments, plus just getting a bit older, helped a lot.

:grouphug:

I've never thought of teaching her to type yet, maybe because I thought mastering handwriting should come first.

It is hard for me to relate to her because I was exactly the opposite at her age.  I loved the physical act of writing but than I was not as creative as she is . 

I don't know about most kids, but my experience with DS is that his fine motor control and hand strength improved as he got a bit older, which improved his handwriting.  In other words, his handwriting just got better as he got older.  And this was after I had sort of given up on improving it, let him learn to type, and did much of his work verbally, especially narrations.  

And when he was younger, it seemed like he talked nonstop.  And sang and related long made-up stories.  And told jokes, constantly.  He's not that way anymore.  He's still very happy and witty, but now laid-back, quiet, and studious.  Almost like a different kid.  So, for him it apparently *was* an age thing.  Can't wait to see what comes next.   :)

There are a lot of possibilities.  

• Lack of fine motor control
  • Lack of stamina
  • Perfectionism
  • Executive function delays 
  • LD's such as slow processing

My dd8 has struggled with all of these.  We spent a lot of time doing copywork to improve her stamina.  We have worked hard on spelling so she wouldn't be afraid of making spelling mistakes (and spending time erasing and rewriting).  I have attempted to minimized distractions by keeping the table clear where she works, installing blinds on the window, keeping the room quiet and buying her a Keekaroo chair that makes her more comfortable and less fidgity.  

But the reality is that she still loves to talk, she will always be a slow processor, and writing is always going to be difficult for her.  Her dad is the same way.  We will always need to make accommodations for her.  But her father is a successful physics teacher, in spite of his writing difficulties, and I will expect that dd8 will be successful, as well.  Mostly, I need to do what I can and try not to worry about it.  There was a time when I was freaking out about it and trying to get her up to speed, and her emotional well-being really suffered for it.  She began to define herself as slow, and she cried about it a lot.  So do what you can.  Get her tested for LD's if you think it is a possibility.  And then just love her and don't let it be a big issue.  

Thank you all for your input.  I start to see the light.  Tracy, my daughter too is a perfectionist and she is slow.  When I rush her, things get rough.  I think she is trying to write faster to please me, it doesn't come out as nice as I know she is able to do, she doesn't get a positive feedback from me, and that is turning her off.  The thing that bothers me is the fact that I feel we spend too much time with school, and still don't get everything done.  I want her to have time to play.  I don't want school to rob her of her play time.  I know it is up to me to make sure that doesn't happen and that is why I look for some input here.

Can you have her narrate things and then create handwriting worksheets on her narration? I did that a lot for my oldest. His ability to write has improved as he has gotten older. For him, it is a fine motor and executive functioning thing. He now types all of his writing assignments.

I want her to have time to play.  I don't want school to rob her of her play time.  I know it is up to me to make sure that doesn't happen and that is why I look for some input here.

Actually, I consider this largely my responsibility, at least with my particular kid.  She wants to please and do what is right and expected. With a child like that, if school is taking too long, it is not because she is doing something wrong.  It took me three years to minimize school so that dd8 would have sufficient time to play and just be a kid.  I integrated a lot of subjects and eliminated a lot of things I previously considered essential.  I also read up on executive function deficits so that I would be able to make proper accommodations and help her learn how to cope with the slowness.