Menu

Music

dsbrack

Well, it doesn't really apply to classical education, I guess (although you could spin it that way, I imagine, with some creativity), but we love Making Music, Praying Twice (it is a Catholic program).

It looks cute for little ones. What format are the files on the CDs? Pdf and mp3?

It looks cute for little ones. What format are the files on the CDs? Pdf and mp3?

Oh golly. You're asking the wrong person. I know nothing about formats, lol. I'll ask Tony when he wakes up. I just play the CDs on my CD player? Lol. I know - not helpful.

My FIL is a music teacher and owns a music shoppe. He gifted us with the suggested *fun* equipment for the program. It's really a blast and offers a great balance of classic, fun, jumping around kids' music, with prayers (in song form), chants, etc.

I'm not musically inclined at all.  DH has a beautiful voice and is learning to play the guitar, but he can't teach DD to read music or anything about music theory. 

Using TOG, thankfully there is some music history interwoven into the history.  Doing Y2, we are reading Mr. Pipes and Psalms & Hymns of the Reformation. It's light, but there. In addition to that, I've always sent DD to the local elementary school to participate in the music class which corresponds to her level.  We were told last year by her 4th grade music teacher that our DD is, apparently, very musically inclined.  So, this year we asked her which of the available instruments she would like to learn.  She chose the flute.  She is involved in flute/band lessons once a week (flute class lesson; then the kids move to a band lesson).  In this way, she is learning to read music, music theory, and how to work with a band in an orchestral setting.

This has taken the burden off me and the classes are free.  I do, however, pay monthly to rent the flute.  I did this instead of buying a flute in case DD didn't like it and wanted to switch to a different instrument.  Right now she is in the top tier of flute players in her class and had her first concert during the Christmas holiday.

I'm going to use the 4 hole and the nursery book for all ages in year 1. Harmonica are hard to play for a variety of reasons that don't apply to this 4 hole. I will move onto a 10 hole in year 2, but I don't want student to struggle with single notes, and holes that are distracting and don't even work properly for beginners.

This harmonica allows all students to focus on what I want to accomplish most without getting bogged down in things that are not my year 1 priorities.

Many regular harmonica songs that are tabbed for the 10 hole can be used with the 4 hole. The 4 holes are 4, 5, 6, 7 on a 10 hole. 10 holes songs that use 1-3 and 8-10 won't work.

The tunes used in the nursery books are tunes that are sometimes used in middle school curricula for students to use to write poetry and songs. They pop up everywhere and are an important part of our culture. To master these tunes in singing is valuable for all ages. Playing a harmonica and feeling the notes in your mouth improve singing.

Funky Nursery has instructions for the 10 hole as well as the 4 hole, so if a student chooses to wrestle with a nicer instrument, then I can still use the same lesson plans. There are older children and adults that refuse to begin learning with nursery tunes, but there are plenty that choose this route as it is an efficient way to learn using the easiest and lost familiar tunes possible.

I'm not sure how long I will devote to reading music and harmonica playing, but it's going to be less than 18 weeks X 40 minutes. In that short amount of time, I don't have time to mess around. It won't kill anyone to spend 12 or less hours messing around with a piece of plastic. The 4 hole is a tool, not an identity.

As I think more about this, I'm going to introduce the 10 hole along with the 4 hole and explain the difference and the benefits of using the 4 hole to START with. Then I will move on to just using the 4 hole for the following lessons, but will occasionally stop and point out how the lesson applies to the 10 hole.

I am using LLtL which start the Wizard of Oz books in level 2. Over the Rainbow requires the #3 hole. I really want to introduce the 10 hole then, for that song. I think that will be fun.

What age are the 4 hole harmonicas for?  Could it be used with 9-12 year olds?  Are there materials for the older crowd or is this primarily for young children?

I'm going to use the 4 hole and the nursery book for all ages in year 1. Harmonica are hard to play for a variety of reasons that don't apply to this 4 hole. I will move onto a 10 hole in year 2, but I don't want student to struggle with single notes, and holes that are distracting and don't even work properly for beginners.

This harmonica allows all students to focus on what I want to accomplish most without getting bogged down in things that are not my year 1 priorities.

Many regular harmonica songs that are tabbed for the 10 hole can be used with the 4 hole. The 4 holes are 4, 5, 6, 7 on a 10 hole. 10 holes songs that use 1-3 and 8-10 won't work.

The tunes used in the nursery books are tunes that are sometimes used in middle school curricula for students to use to write poetry and songs. They pop up everywhere and are an important part of our culture. To master these tunes in singing is valuable for all ages. Playing a harmonica and feeling the notes in your mouth improve singing.

Funky Nursery has instructions for the 10 hole as well as the 4 hole, so if a student chooses to wrestle with a nicer instrument, then I can still use the same lesson plans. There are older children and adults that refuse to begin learning with nursery tunes, but there are plenty that choose this route as it is an efficient way to learn using the easiest and lost familiar tunes possible.

I'm not sure how long I will devote to reading music and harmonica playing, but it's going to be less than 18 weeks X 40 minutes. In that short amount of time, I don't have time to mess around. It won't kill anyone to spend 12 or less hours messing around with a piece of plastic. The 4 hole is a tool, not an identity.

IMO, going to more live concerts touches kids more than studying music in a classroom. I'd try for at least one concert every 2 months. That's probably doable, depending on music availability where you live. Doesn't have to be in a civic center ($$$), can just be live music at the farmer's market, or a church concert, or high school performance, piano recital at a local college. Ideally, summer festivals where the kids can enjoy listening while running around playing is great :) Once you start looking, you'll find lots of free music I bet.

Another alternative is to study one instrument at a time (next year since you're wrapping up your plans). Study them, then go to a kid's orchestra event where they let you touch/try the different instruments. Keep it real! :)

I am a classical musician by profession. I really recommend .amazon.com/Story-Classical-Music-Darren-Henley/dp/9626343109 set of cds in the car.  For littlies this book http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Classical-Music-Book/dp/1843791188/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388862692&sr=1-2&keywords=my+first+book+of+classical+music is great.   I second Fantasia  too. If you want to tie in the 4-year cycle you could easily do that using the Darren Henley cds as a start and follow up with more recordings of the composers he highlights. Have fun! x

I recently received my copy of the "My First Classical Music Book" and I love it!  It's such a cute introduction and has given me quite a few ideas of how to build off of it.  Thanks for the recommendation! 

IMO, going to more live concerts touches kids more than studying music in a classroom. I'd try for at least one concert every 2 months. That's probably doable, depending on music availability where you live. Doesn't have to be in a civic center ($$$), can just be live music at the farmer's market, or a church concert, or high school performance, piano recital at a local college. Ideally, summer festivals where the kids can enjoy listening while running around playing is great :) Once you start looking, you'll find lots of free music I bet.

Another alternative is to study one instrument at a time (next year since you're wrapping up your plans). Study them, then go to a kid's orchestra event where they let you touch/try the different instruments. Keep it real! :)

Thanks for the ideas.  I'm planning for next year so I should have plenty of time to find some live music events to weave in and I know my boys will love it and it will give us some great family time!

I also own My First Classical Music Book, and I think it is great. Since your children are so yound, if you want to integrate music into your other studies, such as reading, you could try Early Childhood Units for Music by Ruth Bergad (I recently picked it up secondhand). It is based on the "Whole Language Approach" so there are reproducible books to copy and read. Plus there are other activities to do.

I got my 4 hole harmonica in today. It looks like it needs to be tuned, but I'm not sure it can be. I don't know if it comes apart. Also it looks pretty fragile.

Unfortunately I just love the widely spaced holes, but I don't see how I'll ever be able to keep up with special ordering such a poorly made product. Maybe if I find them in bulk somewhere at a cheap price. 

I started listening to the Darren Henley resource today and I'm really enjoying it.  My son isn't really following the story line well but he is noticing the music.  He says he likes the "rock and roll" ones (basically, any really upbeat tunes.)  I'm liking this as a resource for me even if he doesn't really get it because I feel like I have a big picture of where to start and where we can go.  Thank for this recommendation.

I am a classical musician by profession. I really recommend .amazon.com/Story-Classical-Music-Darren-Henley/dp/9626343109 set of cds in the car.  For littlies this book http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Classical-Music-Book/dp/1843791188/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388862692&sr=1-2&keywords=my+first+book+of+classical+music is great.   I second Fantasia  too. If you want to tie in the 4-year cycle you could easily do that using the Darren Henley cds as a start and follow up with more recordings of the composers he highlights. Have fun! x

Is there a 4 year 36 week music curriculum, that is good enough?

I'm putting together a good enough 4 year 36 week schedule to use as a "box". "Afterschooling" or "unschooling" or whatever can be done after the "box" is done each week. Or not. :lol:

I need something compatible to my SOTW, Mr Q, Grapevine Bible, LLtL curricula. It needs to plug right in there as the missing puzzle piece. It doesn't need to be the "best", it just needs to fit.

Oh, and it needs to be an eBook.

Harmony Fine Arts is a weekly schedule, and it does follow a 4 year rotation plan.

I'm checking out the free high school 4 year program to see if it can be adapted to lower grades. Thanks!

Why? Harmony Fine Arts starts at the elementary 1st grade level through high school.

I will say however that HFA has a bit less music appreciation than art appreciation. I feel the music can be beefed up a bit.

Other than HFA and listening to Classical Kids (which have teacher study guides to go with each CD that I drool over), I like to read the music sections of the CoreKnowledge books.

Ambleside's composer studies could be followed as well.

Why? Harmony Fine Arts starts at the elementary 1st grade level through high school.

I will say however that HFA has a bit less music appreciation than art appreciation. I feel the music can be beefed up a bit.

Yeah, I already have enough art. I just wanted music. I'll look again I guess. Thanks!