Menu

Help! Adware infection

Punks in Ontario

I keep getting popups that my antivirus is blocking followed by little popup ads in the bottom corner of my screen almost every time I open a new tab.  And here on the forum I have red underlined words with links to ads ( like I can look glamorous with a babe on my hip and make $360/day.)

I've tried running scans, power eraser and I still can't find the stupid thing. :cursing:

I'd love some ideas to try.  I know this board has some varied and amazing talents.  Is this one of them?  (looking for a begging and pleading emoticon, but not finding any).

It's been a long time since I ran windows, but we used three antispyware programs: ad-aware, spybot, and spywareblaster. I think at one time we needed hijackthis to get rid of all the nasties, but we never had to reformat over adware and we even survived a serious Gator infestation.

I'm going to be nice instead of evangelical, but in a pinch, you can always boot from a live CD like Knoppix or Simply Mepis (my favourite newbie distro) temporarily to save your files and/or go online to find out more about how to save your windows installation.

I LOVE Malwarebytes. AFter I got hit by something twice in 2 weeks that my Anti-virus didn't catch, I bought a Malwarebytes license for each of our 3 computers and we've had nothing slip through since yet. (2010 I believe)

ETA: Both times the free version of Malwarebytes FIXED the infection... once I could get it loaded and running. The particular attack we had tried to prevent that! But I was tired of dealing with it and would rather not have the infection in the first place. To keep Malwarebytes always running you have to buy a license.

What does the pop up say?  Is it redirecting pages when you try to go somewhere?  The site www.bleepingcomputer.com lists lots of viruses and the steps to removing them.  They saved my computer big time a while back.  

Try downloading, updating, and running Malwarebytes.  Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the free version.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/?gclid=CPaUsrv02rsCFSVgMgodDHkAKw

Thanks! I am running this too!  We have an adware infection on our desktop computer and I wasn't sure what to do about it.

ETA: 263 malicious files and folders were found and deleted.  YAY!