Menu

Microscope Heavy Science

Hi all,

Dh has decided we need a microscope.  I think the WE in that statement is more HIM, but I admit, they look pretty cool and I'm not against it.  However, if we get a microscope I want to make sure we get our money's worth out of it.  I have started looking at Science for next year and would like to find something that is microscope heavy.  

This will be for a science loving Fourth grader and a tag along First grader.  I'm pretty scatter-brained so I need something organized and methodical or it doesn't get done.  I can't just pop onto the Web for random experiments.   We have used REAL Science Odyssey the last two years.

Any suggestions?

These are just books, not a full curriculum, but my DS and I enjoyed using them last year.  The first two are especially good for elementary, the last one is more advanced.

The Usborne Complete Book of the Microscope: Internet-Linked

The World of the Microscope

Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments: All Lab, No Lecture (DIY Science)

If you've got a pond or creek nearby, grab a copy of The World in a Drop of Water and some well slides. Mine love to run out to the creek and come back to see what new critters they've scooped up. The book is very thin, a short history of the microscope followed by pictures and descriptions of the most common microscopic creek/pond creatures--more of an extra resource than a course/curricula.