Menu

Literature curriculum for 8th grade, any suggestions

lynn

DS loves Mosdos Press lit.  It is a values-based, secular program with selections from so many of the great authors.  It also teaches a lot of vocab in context.  We don't use the workbooks or the TM, but you can use them to go as deeply as you want.  Pricey, but resale value is good. 

This year we're also using a couple of study guides for complete works by Garlic Press.  I think they're better than most other lit guides I've seen for middle school.

In addition to Lightning Lit, there's also a program by Memoria Press that gets mentioned here frequently.

I'd look into Galore Park So you really want to learn English 3 or English year 9.

Alternatively, there are plenty of literature books that are published through the major school publishers. Just google things like Holt literature or Glencoe or Pearson or Scott foresman or prentice hall. An older edition will likely be quite cheap.

This past summer we did a Biblical literacy course as a foundation for upper level lit and art classes, using "The Bible and Its Influence," a text designed for use in public high schools. The course included reading the Bible in its entirety (a Tanakh, a Protestant New Testament, and a Roman Catholic Bible for the deuterocanonical material), as well as lectures by Dr. Amy Jill-Levine from the Teaching Company, "The Old Testament" and "Great Figures of the New Testament."

Now, we're doing a combo. She's in a writing class based on WriteShop 2 which includes some literature, and through the Virtual Homeschool Group online co-op, she's doing a classics book club (just reading and discussion) and a more in-depth lit course on the effects of inequality on literature and culture.

Another I considered was Windows to the World for lit analysis. It's somewhat religiously based, but I think learning the Biblical allusions is valuable (hence why we did the Biblical literacy course even though we are non-Christian). The same teacher she has for writing offers an extended WttW class that includes novel studies which we may do next year.