Menu

Amazon wish list question

LaughingCat

DD is running her own amazon wish list this year - so I asked everyone to be sure to buy it from the wish list - because when I've done that in the past it still shows the item on the wish list for the user but gone for everyone else looking to buy something.  However... this time it seems that what certain people bought disappeared immediately from the list.  Has anyone else seen this?   Is it a setting for them? or for me?

If I am logged in as me, and look at my wish list, or one that belongs to my kids, things that other people have bought are still on there.  I have to log out, and look at the wish list anonymously to have things actually disappear. 

If I were to buy something logged in as myself, (or perhaps if you bought off her wishlist using the same email that the wish list is under) it would disappear right away, and then it would show that it was off the list, spoiling the surprise as the pp said. 

The answer to it would buy the things, but not directly off the wishlist.  Just put in your cart and buy, not using the link from the wishlist.  Make sure it doesn't say when you check out / in the cart (From X's wishlist).  Then, log out of your amazon account, and search for the wishlist by email address.  When the list comes up, there is an option to say that you bought it somewhere else.  You put in an email address, then check your email and confirm you bought it.  It will disappear from the wish list others can see, but would still be visible for your daughter, just as if someone else bought it. 

Or use another email address to buy things if you have one...

Just to clarify - I am the only one who would buy from this same account and I did not buy any of these things.

And what you all are saying (as detailed below) is what I expected would happen when other people bought things....

If I am logged in as me, and look at my wish list, or one that belongs to my kids, things that other people have bought are still on there.  I have to log out, and look at the wish list anonymously to have things actually disappear. 

- but that only happened for 1 person's buying - when 2 other (no communication between them) people bought things, it removed them from the list without being logged out - it doesn't show them as bought, or not bought - they are just gone (the same as it would if I had bought them).

The hint about being able to mark it as bought somewhere else is great though  - it is too late for this year though.

There are some settings for the wish list under the filter button. I think the default setting this year is to only show unpurchased items- at least it is in mine. If you want a setting that shows all items, you may need to look in your wishlist settings and try to change the default setting. As for why it is like this for some and not others, I don't know. Maybe they aren't implementing the new default setting for everyone at once. In previous years, the default setting was to not spoil a surprise.

Or maybe it's just a glitch? I had a couple things disappear from my list and they were not listed as purchased when I looked for it. I don't think anyone other than me can remove the items if they aren't purchased, so amazon may be having some issues right now.

I don't see anything unusual in my settings - I can change that purchased/unpurchased setting -- there are things I know were bought that still show up under unpurchased (as I expected)   - but when I set it to purchasedI can see the things that I know were bought that disappeared too - -along with every thing else that's ever been on the list. 

Maybe it was just a glitch  - very strange though.  All the things that disappeared were actually bought - it just surprised me (and caused a little discussion since DD noticed they were gone).