Menu

Free or nearly free Ipad Apps/learning games

I was gifted an Ipad and would really love some suggestions for educational apps.  Although I limit my kids screen time, I would like to have a couple of apps installed that are educational.  My kids are 3, 9, 13, 14.

9 y/o likes History, Greek Myths, and legos. 

13 y/o likes to draw, likes Math, Theatre, singing, and legos and building things.

14 y/o loves History, is really into the stock market game, spends most of his free time watching documentaries or reading biographies, and is interested in building engines.

So where  do I start?

Thanks.

Duolingo is great for foreign language, not something you asked about but it's educational and free.

Thanks.  I am interested in a variety of things, but I thought I would answer the sure to be asked question about their interest.  I will definitely look into it.  They are all fluent in Spanish, but I want them to pick up a third language.

Definitely check out DuoLingo, and look to see if your library subscribes to Mango, also; it's another free app. I really like them both.

My kids like Stack the States/Countries, Presidents vs. Aliens, QRC Elements, one called Logic Games, Sushi Monster, Meteor Math, TapQuiz Maps, and the free app from the National Archives (a new document to look at every day).

Rohn Games has some nice puzzle apps for small people, and my 5yo likes the Bugsy K Read phonics game.

Quiz Up - for your oldest

Hopscotch - programming through a game

Kodable - same as above but can be used with younger kids

Pictowords - critical thinking

Infinity Ring - history - there are 3 of them and I really like them - different from other things available

7 words - vocab

Start with Art - art

These either have "lite" versions or are free or were free when I got them. I have paid for very few.