Menu

I'm getting a Le Creuset for christmas!! recipes please

JustEm

So, I'm getting a Le Creuset dutch oven for Christmas!! I've wanted one for so long and at tj maxx saw a few for more than 50% off. I immediately went home and told dh that this is the only thing I want and to tell everyone in our families to please go in on it together if they have not already gotten me something.  Well the surprise kinda got ruined and now I know I'm getting one!!

I've never had a dutch oven before so I need recipes.  We eat low carb, high fat but I'm pretty good a tweaking recipes to make them work.  Anyone have any recipes they'd like to share?

Basically any soup or stew recipe will work.  If you converting crockpot -> dutch oven, you have to make a few adjustments.  Here's a good article:

http://blog.williams-sonoma.com/slow-cooker-vs-dutch-oven-a-conversion-guide/

If I my schedule allows, I prefer the dutch oven (I have two sizes of Le Creusets).  The Le Creuset website has some good recipes.

My to-die-for Dutch oven dish:

Make meat balls.

Add a few large cans of crushed tomatoes to Dutch oven with a little olive oil. Add big dash of McCormick's spaghetti seasoning. Stir. Dump in meatball. Bring to simmer. Then, move whole thing to oven at 300 for about 3 hours.

INSANE!!!!

Julia Child's Beef Borg is insane in a good quality Dutch oven that holds its heat well.

Thanks all!! I'm so excited

Basically any soup or stew recipe will work.  If you converting crockpot -> dutch oven, you have to make a few adjustments.  Here's a good article:

http://blog.williams-sonoma.com/slow-cooker-vs-dutch-oven-a-conversion-guide/

If I my schedule allows, I prefer the dutch oven (I have two sizes of Le Creusets).  The Le Creuset website has some good recipes.

Thanks for the link. It had great info that I'll have to remember when switching crockpot meals dutch oven.

I use mine for so many things.  You can cook anything in it.  What size did you get?  I have a 3qt, 5qt and the huge oval one.  If you really like it and want more, check the Le Creuset outlets.  You can get a second one for really cheap.   Mine has overspray on the lid.

I'm not sure what size I'll be getting.  I don't have it yet but I know it will be something I'm opening Christmas morning

My to-die-for Dutch oven dish:

Make meat balls.

Add a few large cans of crushed tomatoes to Dutch oven with a little olive oil. Add big dash of McCormick's spaghetti seasoning. Stir. Dump in meatball. Bring to simmer. Then, move whole thing to oven at 300 for about 3 hours.

INSANE!!!!

Julia Child's Beef Borg is insane in a good quality Dutch oven that holds its heat well.

I absolutely can not wait to make meatballs in it! I'll have to check out the Julia Child's recipe. Thank you!

Yes, enjoy!  I was completely committed to my crockpot, but my aunt convinced me that a dutch oven is even better.  And I agree.  The complexity of flavors is superior.  I still use my crockpot if we are away, and I need dinner ready when I get home.  But my larger dutch oven sits on the stove and gets more use.