Menu

Where is the best place to buy Latin for Children & where should I start after LCII?

74Heaven

My 6th gr dtr's Latin background is:

gr 2 - LC 1 - excelled

gr 3 - LC 2 - got overwhelmed and I pushed her along to keep up with her sisters - ended up not liking it (and I saw my mistake :().

gr 4 Review Year, flash cards, pronunciation CD, chants

gr 5 - Completely redid LC2 thru ch. 20 (excelled and *loved* it)

And now grade 6? Latin for Children?

In theory, I plan to start this dtr in Henle Latin Year 1 Memoria Press (poss at a local co op) in 7th grade (iow, I dont' want to move to Henle for one more year)

This year (6th gr) I have pretty much decided to add in Ludere Latin games and I think we'll use Latin for Children - the website says if the child has done "any" level of Latina Christiana, that it would be okay to start in Level B.

Lisaj, mom to 5, ljdeerparkATaol.com

and I am putting my LCII finisher who is entering 6th into their new middle School program this year. I too don't want to enter into a high school program only because I want her to still have the fun modes of learning. She does great. I know there will be review, but review doesn't hurt.

If you need a t.m. or dvd, then do LfC B. It has a review of LfCA vocabulary and if you hit some grammar you haven't learned you can spend a little time on it. I really like the LfC series. I wouldn't see anything wrong with just blitzing through A either. My dd has done LCI, LfCA, most of LfC B, and LCII in that order. That is my Latin learning curve. I actually like the jump from LCI to LfCA myself. What a rambling answer.

My 6th gr dtr's Latin background is:

gr 2 - LC 1 - excelled

gr 3 - LC 2 - got overwhelmed and I pushed her along to keep up with her sisters - ended up not liking it (and I saw my mistake :().

gr 4 Review Year, flash cards, pronunciation CD, chants

gr 5 - Completely redid LC2 thru ch. 20 (excelled and *loved* it)

And now grade 6? Latin for Children?

In theory, I plan to start this dtr in Henle Latin Year 1 Memoria Press (poss at a local co op) in 7th grade (iow, I dont' want to move to Henle for one more year)

This year (6th gr) I have pretty much decided to add in Ludere Latin games and I think we'll use Latin for Children - the website says if the child has done "any" level of Latina Christiana, that it would be okay to start in Level B.

Lisaj, mom to 5, ljdeerparkATaol.com

If your dd likes the format of the Memoria Press products and you're not ready to move in to Henle, you might want to look at First Form Latin. Which is supposed to be available September 1. First Form (Second Form, Third Form, Fourth Form) are the programs designed by Highlands Latin/Memoria Press for their upper elementary/jr. high students. I believe all four courses are the equivalent of Henle 1.

MP doesn't seem to have separate info up about First Form yet. But Angelina (classical.cajun) asked Martin Cothran about First Form this summer at the Circe Conference and he seemed pretty sure that it would be ready to ship the beginning of Sept. Here's a blurb from their online classes http://www.memoriapress.com/course/course/category.php?id=28

Jami

If your dd likes the format of the Memoria Press products and you're not ready to move in to Henle, you might want to look at First Form Latin. Which is supposed to be available September 1. First Form (Second Form, Third Form, Fourth Form) are the programs designed by Highlands Latin/Memoria Press for their upper elementary/jr. high students. I believe all four courses are the equivalent of Henle 1.

MP doesn't seem to have separate info up about First Form yet. But Angelina (classical.cajun) asked Martin Cothran about First Form this summer at the Circe Conference and he seemed pretty sure that it would be ready to ship the beginning of Sept. Here's a blurb from their online classes http://www.memoriapress.com/course/course/category.php?id=28

Jami

That's right, Jami. He said that it's all finished. He expected it to go to print by Aug. 15, with a ship date of Sept. 1. I do wish they'd put some info up. I am so anxious about this!

Oh, and he said that First Form will review all the grammar from LC1 and 2 with more translation work. He said it will be amped up from LC but not as much as Henle. Lisaj, it sounds like First Form would be a perfect fit for your situation. I'm really excited about it.

Yes. I wish they would put up some info on their website about First Form Latin too. I'd like to know more about it. But Sept 1 is just a few weeks away so I can wait:>)

I second looking into First Form Latin. I guess this is supposed to replace Henle was what I have been told. I guess its supposed to go 1st form, 2nd form , 3rd form , 4th form then Henele 2 is after that.

Jami

I'm still waiting on what we'll be using in short 3 weeks - Latin Alive!, First Form Latin, Henle or stick with LC for grade 6 then do one of those listed for grades 7 & 8.

Latin Alive! still doesn't have the TM listed for sale.