Menu

Train set for 13 year old boy?

MariannNOVA

I hope everyone is well.

If you have any information to share regarding model trains for a 13 yr old boy, I would be most appreciative.

We are considering starting ds with a model train set, but is have no idea where to begin. My dad had Lionel, H.O. Trains when I was a kid, and we loved them and played for hours and hours with them, but I do not even know where to begin today.

A friend's husband had an amazing set up some years ago, and it took up more than one room in their lower level.........I am looking for something much smaller and manageable.......something to pique ds' interest and perhaps become another hobby.

Thanks in advance.

I would use smilies, but I have no clue where they have gone on the 'new' board.....but it would be something cute like an animated train engineer.

I will type more later but try a g gauge. Smaller than HO but very nice.

I thought G gauge trains were the big ones, like the kind people put around their Christmas trees.

Lionel trains are O gauge, and are very popular with hobbyists and collectors. They are a lot of fun, and would be excellent for your son. If you have any questions about them, just let me know and I'll try to help. To get started, though, all you'd really need to buy would be the starter set of your choice.

HO is smaller and cheaper and takes up a lot less space, but they seem flimsier to me than the Lionel trains. You could probably see some set-ups at a hobby shop or model train store.

N gauge is even tinier, and although they are very cool, there's not as much selection or variety available.

I thought G gauge trains were the big ones, like the kind people put around their Christmas trees.

Lionel trains are O gauge, and are very popular with hobbyists and collectors. They are a lot of fun, and would be excellent for your son. If you have any questions about them, just let me know and I'll try to help. To get started, though, all you'd really need to buy would be the starter set of your choice.

HO is smaller and cheaper and takes up a lot less space, but they seem flimsier to me than the Lionel trains. You could probably see some set-ups at a hobby shop or model train store.

N gauge is even tinier, and although they are very cool, there's not as much selection or variety available.

Thank you! Very helpful. I was hoping it might be as easy as selecting a starter set.....I will be in the area of the 'train place' tomorrow and I will take a look.

I do remember the H.O. as being small, and while I don't want one of those humongous sets that one sees around a Christmas tree (they are pretty, but not what I am looking for right now), I guess I need to see stuff IRL.

Thank you again! I will pm you if I need to know anything else.

Thank you! Very helpful. I was hoping it might be as easy as selecting a starter set.....I will be in the area of the 'train place' tomorrow and I will take a look.

I do remember the H.O. as being small, and while I don't want one of those humongous sets that one sees around a Christmas tree (they are pretty, but not what I am looking for right now), I guess I need to see stuff IRL.

Thank you again! I will pm you if I need to know anything else.

Sounds good, Mariann! :)

BTW, before you buy anything at the train store, doublecheck the price at Amazon. Sometimes they are quite a bit cheaper.

Also, I saw a Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer freight train set recently at TJMaxx, and I think it cost around $200. You could try calling the TJMaxx, Marshall's, and HomeGoods stores in your area to see if they have anything interesting.

Sounds good, Mariann! :)

BTW, before you buy anything at the train store, doublecheck the price at Amazon. Sometimes they are quite a bit cheaper.

Also, I saw a Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer freight train set recently at TJMaxx, and I think it cost around $200. You could try calling the TJMaxx, Marshall's, and HomeGoods stores in your area to see if they have anything interesting.

Cat, thanks again. I don't know why, but I didn't even think of TJMaxx, HomeGoods or Marshall's........those are all in the same place as the 'train store.' Excellent! And, amazon.......even better.

Thank you so much.