Menu

Saxon Math vs. Public school math

I homeschooled my son in 8th grade, he completed Saxon Alg 1/2 and started Alg 1.  I put him in school for 9th grade, for various reasons, and I figured he would have a good start on Alg 1 so I had him sign up for Alg 1 honors.  He flunked the first quarter and is on his way to flunking the second quarter.  I compared what they are currently learning in school to Saxon and what he is learning in school is in the beginning of Saxon Alg 2 and this is only the second quarter which leads me to believe that he was not prepared for Alg in school and even if I move him to the CP class he could still struggle because they cover the same things just not as fast.  Is Saxon that far off on their scope and sequence?  Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Tina

It would help if you were more specific. What are topics are they covering? What topics have they already covered?

Honestly, I can't imagine any alg 1 class being to alg 2 topics at this pt. Near the end of the school yr, yes, but now, not unless it is a semester based course vs. a yr long course. Fwiw, he shouldn't have needed an entire alg course prior to taking an honors alg course to succeed. It seems like more must be going on. What are his basic arithmetic skills like? How has he done in previous math courses? What does he perceive as th problem?

They are working on graphing linear equations and non linear equations, & intercept slope method, this is lesson 14 in Saxon Alg 2.  This quarter they have also covered substitution (Alg 2 lesson 13) and elimination (Alg 2, lesson 15).  This is some of the concepts covered in second quarter, this week they are studying for mid terms and next week are the mid terms.

Thanks

Tina

I reviewed it again, those lessons are in Alg 1 just a lot farther along in the curriculum, intercept-slope is covered in lesson 75 but I don't see where the other stuff is covered in Alg 1 but I'll keep looking.  He usually does quite good in math, he likes  to do most of it in his head but he makes minor mistakes when he does so my biggest problem is getting him to show his work.

Thanks

Tina

Saxon covers those topics in Algebra 1 and revisits them in Algbra 2...

Those are typical Algebra 1 topics-- I just finished teaching/testing those same topics with my Algebra 1 classes (I use Lial).

My Algebra 2 classes also REVIEWED those topics and then expanded them (3 variables plus matrices) and word problems...

Linear equations can be tough for many Algebra students to grasp-- they combine 'algebra' with a visual (graphing) and many students get overwhelmed.

Saxon is at or above most traditional Public School texts-- in fact it IS a public school text (just not a traditional one-- this means the presentation and style not the content).

Sounds like you know what his issue is-- not showing his work.

At this level showing work should NOT be optional.  I require it of ALL of my students...

If you do not show your work you will have no idea where your mistake was or how to remediate it.

I suggest meeting with the teacher for extra tutorials and dropping back to the 'regular' Algebra 1 class for the second semester since he has fallen so far behind.

This is NOT a public school issue-- I have students who failed those sections as well-- but they are meeting with me during tutorials so they can retest... most of my students who failed these sections are ones who are too lazy to show their work.  Yes, 'lazy' seems to be an appropriate word here... 

I'm sorry your son's gpa is taking a hit-- hopefully this will be a learning lesson-- if he does not do well on homework he will not do well on the tests! 

Your comment about showing his work is my argument with him constantly.  The math teachers at our school are not inclined to give extra work for help, I know from my older daughters experience.  He had "credit recovery" that he did to improve his first quarter grade and they wouldn't let him bring it home so I have no idea if he understands the concepts because they don't grade that packet either and then they test him on it so we'll see how he does.  My biggest frustration is that they don't grade homework he gets 100% if he does it, they just go over it in class but that doesn't mean he realizes what he's doing wrong or that he understands the material.  

I apparently have too much homeschooling left in me and I guess I'm just going to have to learn to let it go and let him succeed or fail based on the effort he puts into it because I know he did have a bunch of missing assignments.  I ask him every night if he has homework and he tells me no.

Thanks

Tina