Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week fifty

Robin M

And here's another Best of ... list. 

Riot Round-Up: The Best Books of 2013

There are some interesting choices including one Australian book, The Golden Day by Ursula Dubosarsky, which is likened to “The Picture at Hanging Rock.â€

Lots of cool & interesting looking books on that list!

Here's yet another list: Flavorwire's The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2013

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that Hild keeps showing up on lists. Someone here is reading it, right...???

Sigh! i couldn't resist. it is now in my tbr stack for next year.

And oh boy, I'm either going to be in book heaven or serious debt. Also got Tom Nissley's A Readers Book of Days - true tales from the lives and works of writers for every day of the year. It is loaded with info.

I spent way to long looking at those lists in the middle of the night. So true about not having time to sleep due to reading!

I have finished a couple of fun books. The first is Thunderbird Falls by C.E. Murphy. It is the second in the Urban Shaman series. Good but the first was better. Imo

The second was Carolyn G. Hart's Death on Demand. The very first one. :) This series is probably how I started reading cozy mysteries and it was a lovely relaxing read. The centerpiece of this book is a mystery bookstore on an island off the South Carolina coast. Lovely continual references to great classic and not so classic mystery books. I decided to slowly reread the series since they are kindle library books for me and track down as many unfamiliar books and authors as possible mentioned within. I found a couple new ones in this book. Several others that I have on my kindle as old freebies (Dr. Thorndyke) but have never managed to read, maybe this will prompt me. ;)

Great list!  I am interested in a bunch of these :)   Just wondering, is there a "best" or recommended translation of Dante?  Is Nat'l Poetry Month focused on American poets or any nationalities?

I finally, finally finshed The Historian and that makes #86 for the year.  That ties my 2012 total and odds are that I can finish another one or two before the end of the year.  If so, that will be my all time highest BaW number in the four years I've participated  :thumbup1:

Just started Monuments Men on my Kindle and Desolation Island is on the bedside table. 

Yeah for your all time reading high!   Regarding Dante, SWB recommends The Inferno of Dante, translated by Robert Pinsky or The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri, Inferno, translated by Allen Mandelbaum.  I'm going with Pinsky's audible book version. read by George Guidall.   National Poetry Month is all nationalities. There are several poets who won Nobel Prize and SWB has a whole list of poets on her Well Educated Mind list.

I finished Dan Brown's Inferno and while it was good and made me want to read Dante, the 'deadly' virus was just so ridiculous to me. A lot of build up to a mediocre ending.     Now I'm reading Qui Xiaolong's A Loyal Character Dancer, the 2nd book in the Inspector Chen series set in China. 

I have been away for awhile, and unemployed as a hs teacher-mom since the June graduation of my baby.

I am now reading book 53: A Christmas Carol. This is the first time in 3 years that I have actually made the 52 book challenge!

Is there any way to access the old forum which had the 2011 and 2012 52 Book challenge? Our book group is compiling lists for next year, and I can't find my personal lists of books read those years.

Wishing a peaceful Christmas season to all of you!

Today I read a young adult novel ~ Home In Time For Dinner by Kathryn Ellis.

"Chris Ramsay is living a normal, quiet - if rather tightly controlled -existence in a quiet suburb in Dallas, Texas. He lives with his father, who’s the one doing the controlling. Shopping every Friday for the next week’s meals, with Chris as the cook. A home with bare walls, no family photos. Predictable routines, including Chris’s tryouts for the baseball team -- which he has just flubbed and fears telling his father about.

Then, one evening, his father out for a meeting, Chris turns on the TV a short while before his favourite program and finds himself watching one of those “true story†shows his father detests for some reason.

There, suddenly, he sees a photo of a little kid on Santa’s knee, a little kid who’s missing and whose computer-aged face is an exact duplicate of Chris’s. A kid stolen from his mother 13 years ago, a kid who has disappeared from his home in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

The body of the story traces Chris’s journey home to Kingston, home to find the mother who is still alive -- not dead as his father has always told him. Travelling by bus, meeting strangers, assuming a new identity to escape detection by his father, grabbing opportunities as they are available, Chris makes his way home. And when he finds himself almost there, it’s not over.

In this sparely written, page-turning chronicle of Chris’s journey, author Kathryn Ellis presents a vivid account of a boy discovering his life and creating a new one for himself."

It was an interesting read, somewhat far fetched at times, but thought provoking.

Regards,

Kareni

I finished Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger which is the first in a prequel series to Soulless. Written for the YA market but didn't notice anything that really puts it beyond a Harry Potter fan's sensibilities. The lesson on how to disable vampires was pretty funny -- one option was to ruin his clothing. ;) It was a rather gentle introduction to the Steampunk genre. I enjoyed "seeing" Sidheag (Lord Macon's troublesome granddaughter) and Vieve as teens floating around in their dirigible boarding school over Dartmoor. The next of the series is waiting for me to pick it up. :)