Menu

King Arthur and Henry VIII

Guest rebeccadutra

Guest rebeccadutra

Hello Fellow Parents!

This year I am in Vol 2 of the SOTW, the middle ages.

I was wondering if any of you can tell me which chapter or section of the book would be a good time to study King Arthur and Henry the VIII.

Where do they fit in, in this time period?

Much Thanks,

Rebecca

Hi, Rebecca--

I'm not sure that I understand your question. I haven't been through SOTW2, but I'm sure that Henry VIII is covered there. King Arthur may or may not be because his historicity hasn't been firmly established (and even those who believe he existed can't pinpoint an exact time). So...are you asking at what time period you should insert Arthurian legends?

More info is, I guess, what I need. :001_smile:

We are reading a King Arthur chapter book that I am starting around Chapter 9 because that's where it fits in our reading schedule. You could study him in the knights and chivalry chapter, however, which I believe is 17. It is funny that they suggest you study KA in WTM, but don't have him in SOTW@ except as additional lit in the AG.

Guest rebeccadutra

Yes , what I mean is when within our reading of SOTW2 would be a good time to bring in additional literature about King Arthur or Henry the 8th? I like to have my boys do character/biographical read ups on famous people as we study through history.

Thanks

I'm going to cover King Arthur when we do the chapter on knights. I struggled with that one a bit too but decided that with the emphasis of chivalry and courtly love that it would tie in suitably. I would deal with Henry VIII in its proper chronology.

Hello Fellow Parents!

This year I am in Vol 2 of the SOTW, the middle ages.

I was wondering if any of you can tell me which chapter or section of the book would be a good time to study King Arthur and Henry the VIII.

Where do they fit in, in this time period?

Much Thanks,

Rebecca

When I was researching this very question for our studies, many historians place King Arthur around the late 400s to early 500s. When we begin our new history cycle (just one more week!), we will review the fall of the Roman Empire and launch into early British history with King Arthur. We'll begin reading The King Arthur Triology by Rosemary Sutcliff.

HTH,

Elaine in PA

We covered it with the Saxons as our read aloud was the Sutcliff Arthur trilogy. We talked about the history of the tales and the anachronisms.

When I was researching this very question for our studies, many historians place King Arthur around the late 400s to early 500s. When we begin our new history cycle (just one more week!), we will review the fall of the Roman Empire and launch into early British history with King Arthur. We'll begin reading The King Arthur Triology by Rosemary Sutcliff.

HTH,

Elaine in PA

See, even though King Arthur may have lived in the 400-500 BC time period I put him in with knights and coutrly love because most of the stories you read were invented around that time period. To *me* (and this is *just* me, not implying what anyone else should or shouldn't do!) it would be reading it out of place because those stories were invented *so long* after King Arthur lived.

See, even though King Arthur may have lived in the 400-500 BC time period I put him in with knights and coutrly love because most of the stories you read were invented around that time period. To *me* (and this is *just* me, not implying what anyone else should or shouldn't do!) it would be reading it out of place because those stories were invented *so long* after King Arthur lived.

:iagree:

For read alouds, my dd's favorites have been:

Young ___ picture book series by Robert San Souci (Young Merlin, Young Arthur, Young Guinevere, Young Lancelot)

Naxos Audiobooks' Tales of King Arthur read by Sean Bean

A couple of picture books that I've read to her about Sir Gawain (one of the stories is in Mary Pope Osborne's Favorite Medieval Tales, and one is a book called Sir Gawain and the Loathly Lady by...is it Hyman?)

Howard Pyle's King Arthur, but we haven't finished this yet.