Menu

regentrude: Question about AOPS

I say in another thread that you used Saxon prior to AOPS. I have taught 3 with Saxon (2 thru Calculus -- these two are now working as engineers). My youngest has me stumped.

She is currently in Saxon Algebra 1 and getting A's, but the understanding that I want is just not there. I have tried everything I can think of, but not AOPS. I am looking at Pre-Algebra or the Number Theory books. Do you think this will increase her understanding?

She is a very literary child -- reads everything she can get her hands on and can discuss literature with an incredible understanding, but I can't seem to give her an understanding of numbers.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Linda

Well, our use of Saxon prior to AoPS was (thankfully) very short lived. The only book we used was 8/7, for a year with DD and a semester with DS, right after I pulled them out of school in 6th and 5th grades, resp. We hated it. I cut out tons of repetition and streamlined it to make it bearable.

I have not used the AoPS prealgebra book, because that was not out when I needed it.

We went right into Intro to Algebra, with is great for a thorough conceptual understanding.

I do not see how number theory would be helping any with understanding of algebra.

My suspicion would be that she may have a weakness in prealgebra. there are a number of people on the K-* board who use AoPS prealgebra; you might want to ask there about it.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

My very literary DD hated AOPS.  She has been happy with LOF.  She did the basic book plus the home companion problems.  For a student who needs even more, there is the Zillions of Problems supplement as well. 

I really like LOF for kids who need extra practice, because the text plus the two supplements are all correlated.  You don't have to try to match up books by two different authors.

My other DD loves AOPS.  My standard advice is to have the student play on alcumus for a while to see if the approach is a good fit.