Menu

Please help me get this . . TOG scheduling involving students.

Rose in BC

I am in planning mode the next couple of days because we leave for vacation in 10 days and I need to be set to start when we return.

Now, it could be that I have some weird hormonal imbalance thing happening today ;) but I'm having a minor anxiety attack when it comes to TOG scheduling.

This is my problem. I do everything for my kids and don't require a lot of independent work. They are starting Grade 7 (although the youngest ds is 10 turning 11 in November). So I read all the threads about independent learning and some comments about people getting their kids to schedule their own TOG work and it's causing me to freak out.

What does it look like for the student to schedule their TOG work each week?

Apologies if this subject has been hashed to death.

Mine aren't right now. I'm scheduling for them, and then they are putting it in their planners. As the year unfolds, I am going to require them to spend more time scheduling. Right now, I have some time on Fridays where they are to put together their schedule for the following week. Since we are just starting, I will ask for their input and then put it in the schedule. I don't anticipate doing this for long. My LG and under students are not doing any of their own scheduling. The girls who will do their own scheduling are 10 and 13.

I posted our planning sheet on my blog. At the beginning of each week I read the intro section to the kids and then I sit down with dd (12) and her planning sheet. I also give her a copy of the Student Activity Pages. I write in all of the books she has to read along with which pages and I list any extra assignments or projects she has to do. Then I point her to the TOG basket of books for that week and away she goes. We meet back for our discussion time. She decides what she's going to do each day but she knows she has a deadline. Sometimes she asks me for help in splitting the reading, questions, projects and assignments into daily chunks but she's getting pretty good at figuring it out herself.

Just click on the Weekly Planning sheet for TOG link:

http://fanningflame.wordpress.com/2007/07/27/hello-world/

Like Karen, we have a pattern that we follow for how the week flows. M-W is spent reading and following along with the Thinking and Accountability questions. W afternoon and Th morning are map work, writing out accountability and thinking and timeline work. Thurs afternoon is our two hour discussion. Friday a.m. is catch up with geography work, study for quiz and timeline. Friday afternoon is quiz. If we do the writing component, this is superimposed on top of this framework. My R and D students know what they are doing and can pace themselves with the reading and activities to be done by Thursday afternoon in time to be accountable for the discussion. It took a bit to get there, but they do it by themselves and my time with them consists of the two hours that we meet on Thursday and then proctoring and grading their quizzes on Fridays.

Hope that gives a bit of an idea of what works for us.

Pam

this is our first week of TOG, so take this for what it is worth;)

For my 7th ds:

First I made a workbook which included the reading assignment sheets, the sap, lit worksheet, map, and sap questions typed out with room to write answers in. Also some notebook pages. Then I highlighted all the assignments I wanted him to do and made any necessary notes. On his weekly planner pages (where his assignments for all subjects are written), I just put what he needed to do that day, such as on Mon it just says start activity and TOG readings, Tues TOG readings and geography, Wed TOG readings and history questions, etc. He knows what all he has to have read and decides on his own how much to read each day. This worked great this week, he was done by Wed afternoon...but he loves history and he loves to read!

You can see his planner pages at my blog, linked in my signature.

...here's where I started.

I let my son know that he needed to be at point A by Friday in ONE and only one subject. Then, I turned him loose, planning out the rest of the week for him. I gradually gave responsibility to him as he showed ability.

Every once in a while, I catch him not planning well. We talk about it and if he has been irresponsible, there is some kind of discipline (usually loss of free-time). If it was because of events beyond his control, we take that opportunity to discuss how to respond to the "flow of life". We've talked about choosing the most important classes to do in a day, what classes could be postponed without problems, how or whether to try to catch up or whether to just skip the assignment entirely. I've tried to help him develop good judgment since, one day, hopefully, he'll be in college with deadlines and too much work and have to make good decisions on his own.

My 12 yo dd is now at this point in your schooling. Sorry, the 8 and 7 yo don't have much freedom to plan their work. I do let them choose which work to do first though.

We are doing TOG this year, too, for the first time. I've started by writing in the planner things like "read this book over the week" or "read about 15 pages of the book a day" in everyone's schedule, just to show them how I'm planning TOG. We've used SL in the past so TOG is new to us. I'll let them do more of the planning as we adjust.

And I'm starting to get a picture for what I can do.

Part of my paralysis is that all three of my kids do the same grade but have different hmm, how can I say this, different degrees of giftedness in responsibility and motivation. My daughter, no problem. My youngest son can be molded but my eldest son . . . well let's just say skateboarding and biking rank much, much higher that anything involving pen and paper. He's bright and articulate just needs some maturing. And I need to figure out how to encourage this.

And I'm starting to get a picture for what I can do.

Part of my paralysis is that all three of my kids do the same grade but have different hmm, how can I say this, different degrees of giftedness in responsibility and motivation.

We also have that here, so I implemented a time where we all put our schedules together. Currently, one of the planners has gone missing, so I'm expecting that after we finish math, the child who "lost" it will get to go and find it.