Menu

robots for kids?

My kid is not at all educated in science yet. But something he's talked about for a couple of years is how cool robots are, and that he wants one. Do you have any suggestions how to help him develop this into a passion? So far I signed him up for a online course one year that had him hooking up radio shack wires to batteries, fans, and motors. And I bought him a snap circuit set last Christmas. The only things I've read about robotics for little kids are either the Mindstorm or lego mechanical sets. Don't think he wants to do the programming part, maybe the mechanical part (but probably not with tons of pieces, something efficient and streamlined). I'm really not sure. (also, he droped the snapcircut box and sadly broke one of the pieces). He enjoyed the snapcircuits and followed the directions that came with it, but didn't show any interest in a (plain, non-motorized) lego set or the directions.

Anyone have ideas, meaty book suggetions, website links to get a kid started on robots. Even stuff "to grow into" that might show me where we're going with this, but also suggestions for beginner stuff that will get him started and support going in that direction? I bought him a "chose your own adventure" book called "my very own robot" and it was a flop. Apparantly he doesn't want stories about robots.

I'm really not sure. (also, he droped the snapcircut box and sadly broke one of the pieces). He enjoyed the snapcircuits and followed the directions that came with it, but didn't show any interest in a (plain, non-motorized) lego set or the directions.

Does he want to make a robot that he can remote control? Something like the Snap Circuits Rover?

For Snap Circuits, does he do free play with the pieces or does he do only the projects in the manual?

Has he tried Scratch programming on the computer?  Its drag and drop and easy to catch on.  Its also a good preliminary to the Mindstorm style of programming.

There is Hopscotch programming on the iPad which is similar in concept to Scratch.

Do you have a lego user group near to you?  My kids bought gently used gears and motorized parts from the LUG and made their own "appliances".  For example my turning 9 made an egg beater out of gears that I can use.

He would love the snapcircuits rover! He also loves remote control, cars, and monster trucks for pretend play. Thanks, I did not know about that one. He never free-played with the snap circuit set from scratch, but after he followed the diagram he played with altering it. He figured out it doesn't work with gaps. He added extra gadgets into the circuit like fitting in the light piece to the finished design afterwards, adding extra length to the design afterwards, and stacking the pieces on stilts of other pieces.

Scratch an Sploder are easy, but not interesting to him. That's why I don't think he wants to do the programing part at this point.

Do you think the lego gears (is that what LUG is) is the next thing for us? I think he would like to make a working egg beater.

There's this (idea) for doodling circuits in a workbook.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/electroninks/circuit-scribe-draw-circuits-instantly?ref=banner

and this kit, which looks like the next step up from snapcircuits (bookmarking for the future).

http://littlebits.cc

Does anyone know if there's anykind of circuitry videogame that would be like littlebits manipulatives, maybe online or something?

At this summer's area agricultural fair, there was a group of students demonstrating their competition-winning ROV (remote operated vehicle). They gushed about how underwater robotics is more fun and cheaper than Lego robotics. :) The devices were awesome! My 4yo could operate one and explain the basic physics of it once they gave her a quick lecture on neutral buoyancy. They said my young son could definitely join a Scout class team for competition, if he could find or create such a team. Here is the site for the competition they participate in, which offers for sale a textbook with plans for building ROVs.

http://www.marinetech.org/rov-competition/

duckens, it's Supercharged Science. Access to the videos is about $30/month. We subscribed for one summer. The lady who does the videos is Aurora Lipor. She's a rocket scientist who worked at NASA at age 17. She's charismatic. The videos are cool and easy to follow. It's just the price that keeps us from keeping a permenant subscription, although I plan to subscribe again later for the chemistry course.

Thank you SunnyDay! I just looked at the the first how to video on that Marinetec link and I love the presentation. I can definately let my son watch those on car rides & I'm sure he'll learn a lot.

In preparation for the release of the i-Play robots next summer, I have decided in a simpler model to start my little one programming a robot now. It is a very basic robot, but comes with software to work with, and mats to move on.

It actually seems very similar to an app she loves by leapfrog, but I think she will love it...and it will make a great Christmas present to go with the 2nd hand computer she is getting:)

http://www.terrapinlogo.com/index.php

You can contact the owners of snap circuits, Elecno I think it is. They were very helpful replacing a piece for my son.

Not bad. It was $10.00 for both the speaker and the battery pack after shipping.

They also had this code for black friday bf25off for 25% off anything so I saved $1.50.

Kind of hard to do anything without the battery pack.

A friend shared with me a link to these fantastic-looking programmable robots that are being released this summer. I am quite excited about them. There are a limited number available for pre-order as part of their backing campaign.

https://www.play-i.com/crowdfunding/rewards

An alumni of my sorority helped develop those!  They look super neat.  I can't wait to try them out next year with my boys (hopefully!).

In preparation for the release of the i-Play robots next summer, I have decided in a simpler model to start my little one programming a robot now. It is a very basic robot, but comes with software to work with, and mats to move on.

It actually seems very similar to an app she loves by leapfrog, but I think she will love it...and it will make a great Christmas present to go with the 2nd hand computer she is getting:)

http://www.terrapinlogo.com/index.php

I just ordered the Crystal Forest 2 game from this link. I told my husband that I like that it uses a video game. I had a lot of success from Reading Eggs and the iCanPlay piano. I'm starting to be a strong supporter of using video games as teaching tools... but the reviews said it builds confidence and interest, but teaches only to a very simple level. I found a promo code on a blog review so the game was only $30 (MRBILL). My husband said for $30 and I have two kids to use it we can get it to see if it gets them going.

• 1 month later...

They said my young son could definitely join a Scout class team for competition, if he could find or create such a team. Here is the site for the competition they participate in, which offers for sale a textbook with plans for building ROVs.

http://www.marinetech.org/rov-competition/

Bumping this up because the registration for this year's competition is open.   Are your children entering for the scout category?